Chapter Six

ASHER

ASHER

I was awakened from my sleep by the alarm on my cellphone, and I had a difficult time locating the correct button to silence it as it kept going off repeatedly.

"Shut up," I murmured into my pillow, using the other to shield my head and block out the irritating noise.

Following a futile attempt to disregard the alarm, I raised my head and glanced at the illuminated screen.

6:56 A.M.

"Fuck," I muttered, pulling myself out of bed.

The sunlight pierced through the tiny gap in my blackout curtains, intensifying the headache I already had, while the chirping birds only contributed to the irritating alarm that disrupted my sleep.

Heading to the kitchen, I swiftly pressed a few buttons on my Keurig and positioned a mug below. After a brief pause to confirm the settings, I went back to my bedroom to prepare for the day.

Entering my bedroom's adjoining bathroom, I turned on the faucet, wet my toothbrush, and applied toothpaste.

While brushing my teeth, I made a half-hearted attempt to tidy my hair, not overly concerned with styling it. I was running behind schedule, and Isabella's laid-back look from yesterday served as my inspiration.

Instead of my typical suit and tie, I chose a white t-shirt and denim jeans. While it didn't convey the usual sleek and elegant look I sported, I had to confess that I found this attire much more enjoyable.

After one final attempt to tame my hair, I decided to let it be. The shower I had last night had refreshed the slight waves, and I embraced the natural look.

I slipped into a pair of white sneakers and added a silver rope chain and a Rolex watch to complete the look. It was understated but stylish.

Swiftly tucking my phone into my pocket, I retrieved a basic black coat from the closet and donned it, making a concerted effort not to be late.

🂱

"Nice of you to join us," Ryan's sarcastic remark irked me, but I chose to disregard it.

"Good morning, everyone," I addressed the entire group in my office, with no intention of engaging in further conversation.

Before I could even settle into my seat, several papers were thrust in my direction. Most of them required my signature, while a few needed further approval.