Chapter Nineteen

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

"Just not tonight." Suddenly, Asher pulled away, severing the connection between our lips, and without uttering another word, he walked out of the room.

Rising from the bed, I swiftly located my dress, slipping it on and fastening the straps. I then retrieved my heels from the foot of his bed and slid my feet back into them.

As I approached the doorway, I could hear his voice but no one else's as he engaged in a conversation. Taking careful steps down the short hallway, my heels made a faint clacking sound against the hardwood floor.

Nearing the end of the hallway, his words became clearer, and I braced myself against the wall to ensure I didn't accidentally lose my balance in these heels.

"Regardless of the court hearing's result," he exclaimed, his voice seething with anger, "you've already taken everything away from me."

His voice hushed abruptly as I discreetly peered around the corner, spotting him by the kitchen island, his phone pressed against his ear.

"I can't go on like this with you, Kady," his unexpected use of her name sent a tingle through my chest. I retreated back behind the wall. "I can't even be with another woman without being reminded of you."

The tingle in my chest evolved into a burning sensation as I eavesdropped on his conversation. Regret washed over me for allowing things to escalate to this point. What started as a casual and friendly dinner had ended with me feeling foolish and exposed, left alone and naked, all because he couldn't escape thoughts of his soon-to-be-ex-wife.

Typically, I'd permit myself to break down and release my emotions in such situations. However, this time, I refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing how deeply his actions had affected me, especially after I'd already made myself look like a fool.

Exiting the hallway, the resonant clack of my high heels on the floor captured his attention. While heading towards the elevator, he called out my name.

I could discern the sound of him setting his phone aside as I reached for my bag on the table next to the elevator. With a press of the button, the doors smoothly slid open.

Stepping into the elevator, I turned just in time to see Asher rushing toward it, and he quickly slid inside before the doors closed.

As I gazed at him, concealing my true emotions proved challenging. I harbored a mix of anger and sorrow. I had allowed him to lead me to his bed, to undress me, to witness my vulnerability, only to be left alone in that bed while he called his wife.