Chapter Twenty-Four

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

The restaurant exuded a warm and inviting atmosphere, featuring red booths along each wall facing the entrance and a lengthy bar spanning the entire establishment, adorned with matching red stools.

I relished the ambiance of the place, appreciating the '30s nostalgia it exuded, especially when paired with the timeless tunes playing in the background.

As Asher and I settled into our booth, a waitress approached, setting menus in front of each of us and informing us that she would return shortly to take our drink orders.

"Check out the Depression Burger," Asher gestured towards the menu, where a picture showcased a stacked burger complete with fried onions and various customizable toppings.

"I'll go with something different," I remarked, shaking my head and perusing the menu. "Maybe a grilled cheese." Suddenly, Asher's gaze fixed on me as I continued to browse the offerings.

"Isabella," I looked up at him, awaiting his explanation. "That's from the kids' menu," he clarified, indicating the bold text above the grilled cheese option.

I shrugged, and just as the waitress returned with a notepad and pen in hand, I looked up. "What can I get ya' to drink?" she asked, sporting a cheerful smile.

"I'll have a water," I requested, while Asher promptly ordered a beer. Just as the waitress was about to leave, I spoke up, "Excuse me, is there any way I can order the grilled cheese?" She briefly looked at me, then at Asher, and back to me again. "Of course, dear," she reassured me as she jotted down my order.

I offered a smile to the waitress as she departed, then turned my attention back to Asher, only to find him gazing at me.

"So, what were you saying about the kids' menu?" I asked, my tone lighthearted and playful.

He suddenly rested his chin on the back of his interlocked hands and mimicked in a girly tone, "Excuse me, is there any way I could get the grilled cheese even though it's for children?" I rolled my eyes at his impersonation and playfully swatted at his hands.

"I don't sound like that," I replied in a hushed tone, leaning across the table and attempting to stifle my laughter.

He raised an eyebrow and remarked, "It was a pretty close match," shrugging casually as he boasted about his impersonation of me.

"Can I get the biggest, greasiest, messiest burger you have and a bottle of piss water?" I intoned in the deepest voice I could muster, eliciting a chuckle from Asher.