Chapter Twenty-One

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

"It's unusual for him not to show up," remarked Taylor with a touch of worry in her tone, taking a bite from the apple she held. "Especially considering it's been three days."

I cast a glance towards his office, noticing the closed door, the darkness within, and the drawn blinds. Even though I had only been here for nearly four weeks, I had never witnessed him miss a day, regardless of the circumstances.

"He still isn't here?" Ryan asked as he joined us at my desk. Both of them had pulled their chairs over, positioning themselves on either side of me while I scrolled through my emails, hunting for my exam results.

Out of nowhere, an email from my professor appeared. "Could that be it?" Taylor asked, her head gently resting on my shoulder as she continued nibbling on her apple.

I nodded cautiously, my finger hovering over the mouse, and my cursor hesitating over the email, reluctant to click it.

"I totally forgot you were in college," Ryan commented, briefly looking up from his cellphone. "How do you manage to juggle so much with Mr. Petrov and still find time to study for an exam?"

I turned my attention back to the computer screen, pondering how to respond to his question. After a brief pause, I finally replied, "The pay is excellent here," I confessed. "So I find a way to make it all work."

"Alright, it's time to open it," she insisted, her patience wearing thin in her voice. "I'm getting quite impatient!" She gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze just before I clicked on the notification.

The anticipation of these results was enough to divert Ryan's attention away from his cellphone. All three of us leaned in, reading the words displayed on the screen.

"Isabella, we're pleased to inform you-" Before Taylor could even finish reading the text, she leaped from her chair, letting out a delighted squeal as she pulled me up and wrapped her arms around me.

"Congratulations, Miss Lawyer!" she exclaimed, her arms securely wrapped around me as she swayed side to side, dragging me along with her joyful celebration.

As she pulled back, I offered her a warm smile, grateful for her excitement. "Thank you," I replied, feeling my cheeks flush as the entire office's attention was now focused on me.

"Good job, Isabella," I heard Ryan say, giving my shoulder a gentle pat before returning to his desk. I appreciated that people cared about these results. I knew I would eventually share the news with my sister and parents, but for now, I just wanted to relish the stress-free moment.