Chapter Seventeen

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

For the past three weeks, my focus has been on studying, and despite the stress it brought, I found it worthwhile as I now sit in the lecture hall, reviewing the exam paper before me.

All the questions seemed like common knowledge to me at this point, and I swiftly tackled all the multiple-choice questions in just twenty minutes.

I paused to set my pen aside briefly, turning my attention to the short-answer question thoughtfully included by my professor on the exam.

Who has inspired you most during this journey?

With my forehead resting on my hand, I gazed at the question, perplexed by how it could be challenging when the rest of the exam had seemed straightforward.

Resuming with my pen, I commenced writing my response:

Over the course of this four-year journey, I've been fortunate to have various support systems in my life—some who are no longer with me and others who will remain by my side indefinitely. While many in this room may point to their parents or family, my story takes a different path.

I've just landed a position at New York's largest company, and surprisingly, the challenges I face are not what you might expect.

My boss, Asher Petrov, has been a remarkable source of inspiration in the short three weeks I've known him. His ability to push, challenge, and motivate me has encouraged me to persevere on this path, and that's why I find myself here today.

He has entrusted me with the opportunity to represent him in a legal court, allowing me to demonstrate my development and grasp of the law.

In the short span of three weeks, he has motivated me more than anyone I've encountered throughout my entire life, making him my ultimate source of inspiration.

I set my pen down on the table and took a deep breath. Gathering my belongings, I made my way to the front of the hall.

"Results will be out in about three days, so keep an eye out for an email," the professor informed me. I glanced at him as I placed the packet of papers in the tray on his desk. He offered a brief smile before I made my way to the exit, feeling relieved to be done with the exam.

As I neared the Uber I ordered, my cellphone suddenly vibrated in the back pocket of my jeans. Retrieving my phone, I saw Asher's message reminding me of our upcoming date—casual and friendly dinner, scheduled for just an hour from now.

Hastily climbing into the car, I asked the driver to make it a quick drive for an extra tip with the goal of getting ready and reaching his penthouse on time. Knowing Asher's preference for a more formal approach and his desire for things to be just right, punctuality was essential.

When I arrived at my apartment and opened the door, I found Sofia sitting on my couch, engrossed in her usual cartoons. Her attention remained firmly fixed on the TV screen.

She had stayed with me for roughly three days after the incident with Michael, but she had chosen to return home. Now, it seemed she was back without any notice.

Opting not to engage in conversation since it seemed she wouldn't be receptive, I headed into my room. I placed my bag on the vanity and promptly plugged my phone into the charger.

I browsed through the hangers in my closet and decided on a black dress with a thigh-length hem, crafted from lace so delicate that it offered a glimpse of my skin beneath. It was one of the dresses Sofia had given me from her college days. Initially, I hadn't been keen on them because I had nowhere to wear such outfits, but now they had become my top choice.

I slipped into the dress and smoothed it out, making sure to eliminate any wrinkles. The soft yet snug fabric clung to my waist, highlighting my figure, a trait I owed entirely to my mother.

Examining my reflection in the mirror, I opted for a different hairstyle. I gathered half of my hair into a ponytail and skillfully tied a black silk ribbon around the elastic, forming a tidy bow.

As I focused on my appearance, my phone vibrated, diverting my attention. I picked it up to find another message from Asher.

The bellman will bring you to my penthouse, he'll be waiting for you near the entrance.

I swiftly replied with a thumbs-up emoji before refocusing on putting on my high heels.

I unplugged my phone from the charger, stashed it in my bag, along with a tube of lip gloss, and added a small sweater just in case the evening turned chilly.

After spritzing some perfume on, I hurriedly grabbed a bottle of water from the kitchen before heading for the front door.

"Where are you off to?" I turned to find Sofia's eyes fixed on my outfit. "Especially in a getup like that." She got up from the couch and turned off the television, joining me by the door.

My phone suddenly vibrated inside my purse, and I hastily retrieved it. When I unlocked the screen, I saw a notification from the Uber app, informing me that my ride had been cancelled for unknown reasons.

"Damn," I muttered quietly, as I quickly opened the app to request another ride.

"Don't worry about that," Sofia offered, grabbing her sandals from the closet beside the door. "I can drive you."

"Really?" I asked, feeling genuinely grateful that I wouldn't have to shell out for another expensive Uber ride.

She put on her sandals, opened the door, and waited for me in the hallway. After closing and locking my door, I joined her, following her down the stairs.

Navigating the challenging stairs in my heels once again, I safely reached the bottom. Sofia was already waiting outside, getting into her car.

"Thanks for the ride," I expressed my appreciation as I settled into her compact Toyota. She shook her head, dismissing my thanks, and fiddled with the radio, searching for a good station. Taking her cellphone, I copied the address Asher had given me into her GPS.

The ride was tranquil, with the faint background music as Sofia remained concentrated on the road, while I kept my attention on the picture Asher had sent me.

I silently cursed myself for still allowing him to affect me, despite the firm "I'm done with whatever this was" speech I had given just a week ago.

The car eventually came to a halt in front of a sleek, towering building constructed entirely of glass windows. Leaning over the console, I gave Sofia a quick side hug before getting out of the car and hurrying into the building in search of some warmth.

"Ma'am," a kindly older gentleman approached me, holding a silver sign with my name elegantly scripted across it. "Mr. Petrov is awaiting your arrival."