Chapter Twenty-Six

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

As the waitress returned with my card, I expressed my gratitude profusely for her outstanding service. Asher and I then stood up from the booth and ventured outside, where we were met by a downpour of rain. Without hesitation, Asher placed his jacket over my head, lifted me up, and ran with me to his car. In a hurry, he unlocked the doors and helped me inside, ensuring that I stayed dry and sheltered from the rain.

I removed Asher's jacket and placed it on the floorboard as he entered the car, his white dress shirt now soaked through, revealing everything underneath.

I made an effort to avert my gaze and not make it obvious that I had been staring at him, but the way the wet white fabric clung to his well-defined abs and muscles was simply too tempting to resist.

"Thank you for having lunch with me," he suddenly said, his eyes focused on me as he started the car and pulled out of the parking space.

I shook my head slightly. "I'm glad I did," I replied, offering a brief smile before shifting my attention to the rain falling outside the car. I found solace in focusing on anything other than him in that moment.

During the drive to my apartment, the only audible sounds were the splashing of water beneath the tires and the steady patter of raindrops still descending from the sky.

Thoughts of everything Asher had shared at the diner filled my mind during the drive. While we hadn't completed our conversation, I hesitated to broach the topic again, given the emotional impact it seemed to have on him.

Irrespective of whether he's perceived as unemotional or cold, there's no one in this world strong enough to remain unaffected by the loss of their child, whether born or unborn.

Contemplating the name he had chosen for his child brought to mind the name I had selected for my precious baby girl. These sudden thoughts welled up, causing a stinging sensation in my eyes as tears threatened to spill.

Lily May.

I silently repeated her name in my mind, a bittersweet refrain that eventually prompted a tear to escape, tracing a slow path down my cheek as I rested my head against the cool window.

"She turns three next month," I quietly shared, a mixture of gratitude and sorrow in my voice. "Although I'm fortunate that my child is still alive, I haven't seen her since the day I gave birth. As far as I know, she's with a happy, loving family who can provide her with everything I couldn't."

I occasionally glanced at Asher while he remained focused on the road ahead. Suddenly, as I turned to look at him, tears welled up uncontrollably, spilling over and immediately soaking my cheeks.