Chapter Twenty-Eight

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

Asher's gentle breathing, causing his chest to subtly rise and fall, stirred me from my sleep, and the sunlight filtering through my sheer curtains only added to my awakening.

Raising my head, I discovered he was still in deep slumber, prompting me to make a careful effort to maneuver around him and exit my bed without disturbing his rest.

Out of nowhere, his hand firmly gripped my wrist, making me startle. However, as I understood his desire for me to remain with him, a quiet sigh of relief escaped me.

"I thought I was the one meant to sneak out of bed," I rolled my eyes at his remark. He smirked, half of his face obscured by my pillow.

As he sat up in bed, I couldn't help but notice that his typically well-groomed hair was now tousled and disheveled, adding to his already handsome appearance.

Perched on the edge of my bed, he drew me closer, our gazes locking onto each other. "Already eye-fucking me?" he teased, the hint of sleepiness still present in his deeper-than-usual voice.

"Can you blame me?" I confessed, shedding any pretense of not being into him. I craved him in various ways, and last night, he had changed everything for me.

I had always imagined that my first time would be nerve-wracking, and I wasn't entirely sure if I was prepared, but then again, are you ever truly prepared for a first experience? I never expected that my first time would be with my boss...or my client.

"What's on your mind?" My focus snapped back to him as he rose from the bed, his towering presence as commanding as ever.

I shook my head, murmuring, "Nothing," but the determined look in his eyes suggested he wouldn't let it slide until I shared my thoughts. All that occupied my mind, though, was him.

"Nothing?" he asked, a subtle smirk playing on his lips as his hand gently cupped my cheek. "You," I whispered, my gaze momentarily darting away.

Our moment was abruptly interrupted by a knock at my door, and my sister's voice came from the other side. "Isabella, there's someone here to see you."

I swiftly gathered my clothes from the floor, slipping into silk shorts and pulling a t-shirt over my head. "Stay here," I instructed Asher as I opened the door and hastily closed it behind me.

"Bella, my girl!" My mother's voice suddenly exclaimed, and my body nearly froze until her arms enveloped me, drawing me into her warm embrace.

I placed my hand gently on her back, feeling a sense of relief wash over me as her embrace continued. It had indeed felt like ages since I'd last seen her, especially since I hadn't visited my hometown since moving here a few months ago.