24

"MADAM?" Sitara shut her eyes in displeasure, fastening her footsteps as those men from the press followed her right into her office.

"What would you like to say on your court case against your ex husband? Are your allegations true?" They kept pushing the guards away, trying to shove their mics and cameras towards her face as soon as she came out of her car.

With Asad's recent election nomination, it shouldn't have been a surprise for her. She could've been wiser but she hadn't. The opposition as always liked digging out controversies, scandals and everything that was demeaning and ugly enough to malign the one who was standing against them. For Asad, a majority of the skeletons in his closet centred around Sitara. The charges that she had pressed on his during the divorce had managed to tumble down his political stature in the media.

She clicked her tongue in annoyance as her dupatta stuck into her heels and she was almost on the verge of falling flat on her face had her manager not held her. All the rush and noise was making it impossible for her to function.

"Silence, everybody." A guard shouted on the top of his lungs, looking perplexed at the vast crowd concentrated at the office gates. It barely made any difference but after a while, they were being sent out of the premises with force and threats.

Sitara looked from the glass windows of her cabin, feeling both scared and unpleasant. She had never seen something like this ever unfold in her life before. All this sudden attention and potential public humiliation ceased to create a havoc within her. Her divorce wasn't something to be discussed on a scale like this.

She buried her face in her palms, attempting to press her temples as a crippling fear seemed to engulf her. Her head was throbbing in pain as her mind kept throwing out the worst possibilities that it could ever decipher.

"Come in." She vexed out a low sigh, seeing Aisha with her coffee at the door. She adjusted her posture as her lips mumbled low words of gratitude. She had been nothing but a source of strength and sanity for her all morning.

"Ma'am, you can go home if you wish. We will manage for the day." The young woman looked deeply concerned. Sitara could sense that in all these years of managing her mother in law, she'd have never across something like this. So hadn't Sitara, but it had been a while since life was accustomed to throw such displeasing surprises her way.

She agreed to her advice. There was no way she could've worked even a little when there was so much looming in her mind. She needed a couple of sleeping pills and her pillow to rest.

The drive back home wasn't easy. Every time she heard a commotion, her heart came to a halt. She was scared that they would find her again. She didn't know how that had managed to hunt down her office address and she dreaded the thought of them doing the same at her home.

She tried to read about him as much as possible online. There were a couple of articles posted just recently, hinting a possibility of his arrest. They wanted to frame him over the charges that she had once pressed on him.

 They wanted to frame him over the charges that she had once pressed on him