26

HER phone kept ringing all the time, with calls and messages. She had heard several knocks on her bedroom door, but refused to outside even for a second. She slumped on the cold uncarpeted floor, watching her life crumble before her eyes.

Her aunt was hounded by the media as her address on the police report was that of her house. They presumed her to be present there. The extensive crowd concentrated at her society's gates and common ground only grew as the day passed. 

She cringed each time those intimate details of her personal life were made public. They hadn't hidden her identity even for once. Nobody had cared for her emotional wellbeing. 

"Sitara, open the door?" She shuddered at the voice. The familiarity of it made her stomach twist in knots. His khala was the last person that she had wanted to come across. 

"Please leave." She muttered, sinking her head in lap as she only heard her say something to her. She was nowhere in a state to discuss or disclose herself to anybody, especially his family. 

They had been nothing but inconsiderate to her ever since the time she was married into this house. Her soul shivered at the very looks of disgust and disapproval that Abeer got from them. They were never adjusting enough to accept an innocent child, there was no way that they'd look at her the same way again after this. 

Whatever dignity that she had held was lost today. She was reduced to nothing but a topic of gossip and disgrace.

"Stop this nonsense. I've only come to check on you since there's nobody at home." She scowled, now increasing her effort at mindlessly banging the door, it was unpleasant to hear but none of it ever reached Sitara's ears.

Like everyone else, she too had left. She knew that none of whatever that she had come to provide her with, consisted of empathy or support. She was terrified upon facing her or anybody else.

Apart from everything else, she feared Rehaan. Her decision of not discussing all this before marrying him was costing her. She grew selfish and thought of discarding her past. She wanted to her and her a new start, devoid of the complexities of her previous life.

She thought that if she tried to forget it, all of it would vanish.

She didn't know what he'd do or say once he'd find out that she had been keeping him in the dark. He'd probably be disgusted by her, maybe he'd take Ayla away too. There was no possibility of him letting her raise his daughter. Women like Sitara were always frowned upon.

More bitter cries left her lips as she watched everything that was described by her regarding the assault in the police report play in front of her eyes, and perhaps in front of a lot others, on the television screen. 

In order to tarnish Asad's reputation, the opposition had played a well versed game; which unfortunately impacted Sitara. Her redemption never ended. Associating herself with a man like him had always costed her, and would continue to do so until her final breath.