(4) prejudiced.

(4) prejudiced.

MAGGIE LUPIN sat there stunned for a moment, her eyes wandered to Jackie who seemed oblivious to what she'd caused and instead smiled at Maggie before taking a bite out of her mashed potatoes

MAGGIE LUPIN sat there stunned for a moment, her eyes wandered to Jackie who seemed oblivious to what she'd caused and instead smiled at Maggie before taking a bite out of her mashed potatoes. Maggie didn't quite know what to say to that, because she'd never been able to get a read out of Regulus and Sirius' relationship as brothers. They spoke of each other with such disdain but when the other was set on crossing a path the other didn't approve of, that's when the real worry would come out of them. Maggie knew they cared, anyone could tell that much, but she didn't know why she couldn't let them know she knew they cared. Perhaps it wasn't as complicated and in another world Regulus and Sirius were just brother who cared without having to hide it, but it was still their world here so Maggie thought of a response to perfectly cater to Sirius' emotions.

"Yeah, I saw him. He was there to get new dress robes." Maggie let her tone stay unaffected and unattached, like she was, if she let Sirius believe that nothing had happened that day at the store -- which it hadn't -- then he'd let it go and ask no more questions, "I don't know why it's such a big deal, we work together during Potions, like, all the time."

"And that's all that happened? He didn't say anything?"

"Did you want him to come cry to me about missing you or something?"

Sirius looked like he wanted to say something but Euphemia shook her head at him, Jackie and Maggie shared a look — as the younger siblings, they were often left out of things the adults didn't deem appropriate for them in this house. In the other house, Maggie's house, she was her parents' best friend, she could ask them whatever she wanted and they would tell her. Jackie opened her mouth but then Maggie cleared her throat, she indirectly told Jackie not to bring it up because she'd have the answer sooner than later.

"So, kids, how was the training today?" that one question from Euphemia illicited a thousand different responses, irritated ones, happy ones -- Alice Fortescue, you lucky bastard -- and some neutral ones. The dinner table at the Potter Manor was always bustling with chaos, often because of James or because of his friends. No matter what time of day it was, someone was always over at the Potter's Manor.