(14) potter manor.

(14) potter manor.

MAGGIE LUPIN had strategized with Regulus the entire day, so when the night came and it was time for them to have dinner they could go into full performance mode

MAGGIE LUPIN had strategized with Regulus the entire day, so when the night came and it was time for them to have dinner they could go into full performance mode. Regulus had tried to back out of dinner, he said he wasn't sure if he was going to be wanted at the table. Maggie had looked at him, unrelenting determination in her eyes and said, bullshit, you're coming with us. Jackie had shrugged, she opened the door for the two of them and said, it's your funeral. Maggie had whacked her arm, and passed Regulus an encouraging smile.

"Don't worry, think of this as rehearsal for the big event," Maggie said, she ran a hand through her hair -- fluffing it up. She kept just the right amount of her hair in front of her face, just enough to make sure it wouldn't make her forehead look weird, but wouldn't stick to her lipgloss either. She quite liked big dinners, she liked that she got to dress up for it, "It's just our brothers, and Lily, and Marlene and her girlfriend."

"Dorcas..." Regulus muttered, his voice full of relief -- though his eyes remained the same cold grey, it was like he had build a wall around himself in preparation for the dinner. Maggie didn't understand it, Regulus understood why she didn't understand it. He'd had several dinners with deatheaters before, hell, even the Dark Lord had sat down at his dinner table and he'd held up pretty well. The Dark Lord would see the cracks in him and think of it as something to use, but if these people... these good people saw those cracks in him, would they think he was of any use to them?

"Yeah, I asked Marlene to bring her around. You're great friends, I thought it would help make your transition here smoother? Was that okay? Should I have asked before?" Maggie asked, hurriedly cramming her sentences one after the other, so he didn't misunderstand her intentions.

Regulus was filled to the brim with gratitude, if he functioned like normal people this might've been the moment where he would've given her a big smile with a hug, instead, "It's fine."

Maggie nodded, she passed him the smile that he should've given her instead, "Shall we go then?" she asked him, and he nodded to her. She fluffed her hair again -- she was so nervous about seeing Lily, she kept fiddling with everything about her outfit, her sweater on top of her flowy dress, her wand in her go-go boots. Mostly her hiar. One time, Lily had helped Maggie with her hair for a date she'd gone on in third year -- back when she actually had faith she would find somebody to love her. Lily had told Maggie she loved her hair, how it was the perfect texture -- wavy and non-frizzy, and it would hold a curl much better than hers. How it was so pretty and shiny and how Lily wished she had her hair instead. Maggie had joked she would literally shave her head right at that moment if she wanted it. Lily had laughed, not knowing Maggie actually meant it.