4.9

~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~

Chapter 9: Battle Of Our Lives

~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~

Was this going to be their destruction? That was all that was on Ruby's mind, even as she laid next to her lover, all she thought about was the upcoming battle.

Somebody was going to die. Who? She wasn't sure. Everything was blurry. When Ruby tried looking into the future, all she saw was a dead person, all she heard was screaming.

She looked down at Embry, who seemed peacefully asleep, while she was worrying. If he was to become hurt, she would kill everybody, everyone. She would be nothing without the wolf.

Ruby was grateful that she met the boy due to Bella, due to Edward. If they didn't leave after Bella's 17th Birthday, Bella wouldn't have become as close to Jacob, leading to Embry being a mystery to her.

Life was strange. Everything, everybody was connected in one way or another.

Another example was Angela and Leah. The couple were growing stronger each day, though the human was still oblivious to the supernatural, for now. The two only met due to Ruby's strange connection to Angela.

The hybrid slowly got out of bed, making her way to the bathroom. She was afraid, terrified for what was to come.

How could she stand against her old lover, standing next to her true love? Alec would try to kill Embry, she knew that if a fight was to break out, he would go straight for the wolf who held her heart.

Ruby looked up at the ceiling, closing her eyes as a tear fell down. She would be strong for her family, for her friends. She would allow her body to take control, she would not back down, she would not let them win.

She opened up her eyes, staring in the mirror as her eyes turned black. She would put Embry first, she would protect him over all. He was her family. He was the only person she needed.

~ * ~ 

Snow wasn't uncommon for Forks, it was one of the reasons the Cullen's enjoyed the winter there. Unfortunately, the snow was now unpleasant for them, it's meaning changing. The Volturi were coming. A potential life ending battle was approaching.

Ruby stand next to Carlisle, the Hybrid acting as the second leader, as Carlisle's righthand woman. The times hadn't changed, they were still as close as they had always been.

"The Redcoats are coming! The Redcoats are coming!" Garrett's boomed.

Suddenly, Aro and the rest of his army stood at the opposite side of the field to them. 

The Cullen's were outnumbered, even with their witnesses, they stood no match to the number of Volturi guards, who had brought their own witnesses. Ruby wasn't surprised, knowing they would've killed or forced loyalty onto those who didn't join their side.

"Aro's looking for Alice," Edward told Bella, though Ruby had heard him. Of course Aro would search for the prize of the Cullen family. The seer was the one Aro wanted, the one who would give him the ultimate power. 

The wolves came out of the tree giving Ruby a calming presence. She could feel Embry, despite the fact he stood with the rest of the wolves. Jacob was the only wolf who strayed from the packs, standing next to Bella, Edward and Renesmee.

Alec's eyes remained on Ruby, terrified of what was to come, though he masked his fear, his face well. He didn't want to fight the hybrid he loved, he wanted to protect her. But if it came to it, he may have to kill her and that was his great fear.