2.4

~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~

Part 4: You're Alive

~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~

The fear in Ruby's system was in overdrive. She was terrified for her best friend. She knew leaving Bella behind wouldn't be good, disastrous, but it was what her brother wanted, to keep her safe.

'Please be safe, Bella. Please do not do, or have done anything stupid in my absence.'

Ruby would never forgive herself if something had happened to the human girl. She loved her too much to lose her.

While her thoughts were momentarily selfish, she began to think how Edward would feel if something had happened to his mate. He would never forgive himself, he may even blame those who supported his decision to leave.

Ruby was confused as she arrived at the Swan household, she noticed two cars, one unfamiliar, the other belonging to Carlisle. 'Why is he here?'

She entered the house, only to hear arguing. The first people she noticed were Bella and Jacob, who stood arguing, while Alice watched angered. The vampire's eyes widened as she noticed her sister.

"What on Earth is going on?" Ruby demanded.

Bella's eyes widened in shock at the sound of her best friend's voice. She was thrilled the girl was there, yet angered at what Jacob had done.

"Ruby?" the human whispered.

"This Mutt, told Edward Bella's dead," Alice told her. Ruby's eyes widened as she glared at the shifter. "He did what?"

"I never told him Bella was dead, I just told him Charlie was at a funeral. I just, I never mentioned whose funeral," Jacob explained. "Edward is going to the Volturi, he wants to die too," Alice told her sister.

Ruby let out a sigh, knowing what was going to happen. They would have to go to Italy to save Edward, to stop him from killing himself.

"Why must life be so messy?"

Bella grabbed Ruby's arm, pulling her to Carlisle's car, Alice speeding to the drivers seat. Jacob rushed after the trio.

"Bella, you can't  go. He left you, remember? He left you," Jacob reminded the girl. Ruby couldn't help but roll her eyes. The shifter was clearly smitten, he always had been, but to stop her from saving Edward was merely horrendous. He was willing to let someone die due to his jealousy.

"That doesn't mean I'm going to let him kill himself out of guilt," Bella snapped.

Ruby felt proud of her best friend, not only for sticking up for Edward, but for snapping at a Shifter. She was brave, that was something she had proven multiple times.

"You can't go to a place filled with Vampires. They'll kill you," the Shifter said, causing Ruby to scoff. "As if I'd allow them to hurt her."

Jacob's eyes narrowed as he stared at the strange, yet sweet scented girl. She wasn't human, that much was true. She had an unhuman scent, but she wasn't a shifter, or a vampire. "How can you protect her? What are you? You're not a vampire, how do you know about them? About us?"

"So many questions," Ruby said, a small smirk on her face, before her expression changed to one more serious. "All will be revealed once my brother is home. When that happens, I will meet with you, and your council."

Jacob shook his head, before putting his attention back on Bella. "Please Bella, think of Charlie."

"I'll deal with him when I'm back. I'll face whatever the consequence may be. I'm not going to let Edward die," Bella said, before slamming the door.