Chapter 40: Autobot Reunion

After the death of Lucas, the others were driving away.

Tessa: Lucas, we just left him?

Cade: He's gone.

They then arrive at a gas station as the humans get out and Optimus and Y/N transform,

Optimus: My deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend. Stay here till I'm sure we weren't followed. We are all targets now.

Optimus transforms into his truck form as Y/N transforms into a fighter jet and they both go off.

Shane: So, we're hiding out now? That's the plan? We're taking orders from a truck and a car?

Cade: Well, you got a better idea? Hey, move away from her, kid. Don't... Keep your hands off her. All right? No.

Harold confronts James.

Harold: You got your ass kicked by a garage inventor from Texas. That goes on your resume. Yeah, it goes on all of yours, too!

James: Do I look like I'm in the mood for any of your shit today?

Harold: Washington thinks we were chasing a Decepticon target, but our story falls apart if we don't find this Yeager family first.

James: Yeah, well, what if he goes to the cops or the FBI?

Harold: They know to hand him over. His world as he knows it is gone.

Cade is inside the abandoned gas station sitting down along with Tessa and Shane.

Tessa: Well, bright side, you guys met.

Cade: Where is he from?

Tessa: I told you, he's a driver from Texas.

Cade: Texas? Where, Dublin, Texas? Shamrock, Texas? So why does he sound like a leprechaun?

Shane: You'd get your ass kicked in Ireland for saying that.

Cade: Well, we're not in Ireland, Lucky Charms. We're in Texas. And so he drives? What do you mean, he drives? Like, for a living?

Shane: Yeah. At least he makes a living.

Cade: Thank you.

Shane: Look, I race rally cars. One driver. One navigator. Her. By the way, I'm totally legit. I just got picked up by Red Bull. And just so you know, my life savings was in that car back there.

Cade; This is not happening.

Shane: It definitely is.

Cade: How old are you?

Shane: Twenty.

Cade: She's a 17-year-old girl. So, we can work this two ways. One, I punch you right in the mouth and you call the police on me.

Tessa: Dad.

Cade: Or two, I just call the cops on you because this is illegal. She's a minor.

Shane: We're protected by the Romeo and Juliet laws.

Tessa: We dated for a little while. I was a sophomore, and he was a senior. It's fine.

Cade: No, it's not fine.

Shane: We've got a preexisting juvenile foundational relationship. Statute 22.011.

Cade: What?

Shane shows the Romeo and Juliet law.

Cade: Texas statute? That a real law?

Shane: Yep.

Cade: Romeo and Juliet? You know how those two ended up?