Chapter 1

They made haste. They rushed around the house. They hurried and grabbed everything necessary because they felt the alarm bells ringing in their bodies. All this moving around made their blood radiating heat. The air rendered their open mouths dry as they ran back and forth. There was even a scope of sirens shrilling through the house. They threw whatever they needed into their baggage before their heroes could come to their rescue. All because of a recently newfound paramilitary began in their city, and now out hunting down those who possess magical powers said to come from a meteor, known as the Meteor Arts.

Koki Otomari was one of them, but he was more than that. He was a Meteor Samurai, a warrior whose role was unusual but important among all the Meteor Artists. Throughout the centuries, they were custodians of maintaining the balance of Meteor Arts. After he was found out as a possessor of the arts, he had no choice but to leave his homecity, Tokyo.

Not for his two siblings. Although they were not in the same league as their brother, they would not be safe either. They, too, grabbed whatever they took to leave. Without their parents around, Koki had been serving as the man of the house considering he was the oldest and had to look out for them.

After he finished packing, Koki rushed to his bedroom and grabbed the last thing he required, his sword hanging on the rack, a Meteor Katana. A Meteor Samurai was not without his Meteor Katana, a sword with the mystical gemstone carved in lines and ornaments inlaid on the blade. Although it was the last thing he grabbed, he had trained himself not to forget it.

Before the scare, Koki was on phone with Taro Suzuki, another Meteor Samurai and his brother-in-arms, told he was not safe from this threat. This threat was known as Hagetaka Group, an emerging paramilitary skilled in modern warfare and tactics, and their mission was to hunt down the Meteor Artists because they were labelled as a national threat, simply for the powers they held were deemed destructive. At least, that was what he heard on the news. In other words, Meteor Artists were viewed as vermin, parasites, even monsters. A dangerous species to Japan, they added.

He did not agree with the notion personally, but he understood the reason why and he did not blame them. And it would be damn near impossible to reason with them, especially when the government, the media and their sponsors got their back. He was just one man. And to reiterate what Taro said on the phone, "It doesn't matter." Once getting caught by the Hagetaka, it might spell game over for him. He would get beaten down to the ground and shot down like a dog, for instance.

Koki and his brother should be packed and ready to go, but their sister, the youngest of the three, was not finished. They expected her to pack up a large stack of cosmetics, but no. In fact, she was packing up a bunch of family photos and albums.

Koki asked her why, and her response? "I thought it could keep us safe, and it means a lot to us, right? If I take them with me, that way they won't know we live here, and they won't be able to track us down."

That was an odd reason. Not sure it would work, but not a bad idea, and worth the try. Kind of smart, from the sound of it. Cute and lovely, even.

They heard knocking, alarmed, but it came from the back. Koki had a gut feeling there should be nothing to fear, but cautious he remained, he snuck over to the back of the house. Through the glass door, all that paranoia died completely. He ran over to the glass door when he saw two men, one of whom he knew.

He opened the door for the two men. One was Taro, who was tall and handsome, had black, medium-length curtain hair, dressed in green samurai clothing, a fedora on his head, and carrying his own Meteor Katana by the side of his waist. And another person was a ninja in dark, inconceivable garments, served to accompany Taro.

"Hope I'm not too late," panted Taro.

Not at all, Koki told him. Two out of three were set to go, but still waiting for their sister. It took a few sweet minutes for the rest of the siblings to join in, now they carried all the photos and albums inside their bags, every last one of them.