Chapter 5

The executive committee heard of the news and was pleased with the outcome. However, they believed it would not be the last time they would encounter them. With all the members who partook in the Osaka and Kobe battles, gathered in the assembly hall, Naoki and Tachibana-sensei had commended them for their efforts, but they announced there would be more plans to discuss on the next day.

Celebrations took place in the dining hall. Taro had returned to the table with his fellow samurai after chatted with the Water Meteor kunoichi. They saw the kunoichi giggled quietly and watched Taro left after their conversation.

"So, what you've been doing over there, Taro? Hitting on the girls?" Hikaru teased.

"Nah, just telling them they did a good job," said Taro.

"Aw, that's it? But I thought you've been so popular with the ladies."

"He has the looks, the brains, and a steady job. He's the full package, I would say," Atsushi commented brightly.

Taro chuckled. "Not as charismatic as you are."

"Nah! The ladies would rather fall for you than me. I'm an old man compared to you all. What kind of woman would go out with an old man like me, huh?"

"You don't look that old," said Saya, looking up at him. "Even at the age of forty, you still look young and handsome yourself."

"Aw, thank you, Saya."

"What can you say?" said Naotaka. "People don't look like their age nowadays."

"So, how did you go on your part, Taro?" Saya asked.

"It was a piece of cake. My team and I did a great job. Shintaro was our MVP. He exercised his role as Senpō amazingly, although he got a bit carried away back there. I mean, we nearly lost him."

"Really? Hikaru was our Senpō in Kobe, yet he didn't screw up once. Shintaro is best at being Senpō, but is that how it happens when you're hot-headed?"

"Hey, watch it!" Shintaro retorted.

"Look, the bright side is no one was hurt," said Naotaka.

Taro hung his head, bemused. "Speaking of Senpō, we Meteor Samurai are very low on vanguards. You mentioned Hikaru was Senpō but had not made a mistake. How did he go exactly?"

"Extraordinarily well," Atsushi commented.

"Interesting." He turned to Hikaru, asking him, "How about you like to be our designated Jihō? Our deputy vanguard? We don't really have one in our group, but we could offer you a spot as such."

Hikaru was overwhelmed, but he was smiling. "Me? Your Jihō by default? It would be an honour."

Taro smirked. "It's settled. Everyone, let give welcome to our relatively new Meteor Samurai, Hikaru Terada, as the main Jihō of the team."

They clapped for Hikaru.

"Let's just have our triumph of victory, shall we?"

"Yeah, let's," agreed Shintaro.

"Agreed," Naotaka, too.

Koki had been listening to the conversation but remained quiet at the table. He was filled with conflicting thoughts, deeply reflecting on Naoki's reaction on the ominous message from the imprisoned soldier. Naoki believed what the Hagetaka want was the power of the Meteor Arts, but the soldier said the country was safer if the Meteor Artists were gone. He understood where he was coming from, for he knew how dangerous the Meteor Arts could be. It could also be out of fear, the possibility of the Renmei ruling the world someday, the terror of the Kage-gun, or something else. But the question was why must the Renmei choose to resist? He struggled to figure out why. He wished to know more.