Chapter 21

The remaining two samurai stepped up in front of the crowd. They saw in their faces, expressing sorrow, scepticism and fret. To spread the news Naotaka the leading Meteor Samurai, and Motohiro Egawa and Takefumi Yamada both leaders of their Renmei divisions in their own regions, were left behind. They scanned around themselves and realised the entire group were without leaders, but all faces pointed at Koki and Shintaro. They have the two to rely upon and to protect them from harm. Dr Sakai, the Egawas, and several associates were standing adjacent to the samurai.

The samurai did not know everyone was waiting for their call. They were embarrassed to say they had no idea what should they do as their leaders.

"They're all counting on you two," said Sakai. "They want you to lead the way."

Koki and Shintaro closed their faces together, figuring what to do.

"Maybe you should lead the way," said Shintaro. "I don't know if I can do it."

"But you're older than me!" argued Koki. "You should lead."

"I don't think I can do it alone! What else d'ya suggest!?"

Koki took a moment to think and scanned around the tunnel again. This tunnel's interior had the design of a coal mine but for giants. The comforting thing at least was it came with a long line of lanterns handing on the ceiling. Thought it would be safe to follow the lanterns, they were bright enough to lead the way. "I don't think it'll be that bad," he said to Shintaro. "Maybe we just follow the lanterns." Then he turned to Maruyama and Natsuki, asking if the tunnel lead all the way to their next destination, Oita. They had confirmed to him so.

Now that he knew, Koki called Shintaro, Maruyama and Natsuki to join him in the front, and asked Dr Sakai, the Egawas, Amano and Kawada to stick close to the crowd and watch them over.

"Shintaro, you and I should become leaders together. Is that okay with you?" asked Koki.

Shintaro mused by his suggestion. "I guess so..."

Koki closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Now acting a leader and with Shintaro at his side, he gave the call. "Let's go," said with a securing voice. He and Shintaro marched on and everyone else followed them.

"How much farther is the other side on foot?" he asked Maruyama and Natsuki.

"About three to four hours, we should get there."

"You gotta be kidding me!" Shintaro murmured.

Koki shushed him. "You don't want to make everyone feel uneasy!"

Then he felt different after saying that. It was not like him to scold Shintaro down. The air between them was awkward and unnatural. Acting as a leader changed his attitude Koki. He brushed off what just happened and kept going.

While on the way, Koki was about to turn his face around, wanting to check the crowd following him, but he decided not to and focused forward. It would seem like he was not confident to be a leader. All he could do was just follow the passage, but he wondered what the followers were thinking. Following the passageway should be simple, but concerned how tedious it may. For him and everybody else.

About two hours in and progress had been steady. Suddenly, all the lanterns above were flashing and soon went out. Very few were still alive, but the brightness were dim.

"What happened?" said Koki, staring up the lanterns.

"Lights are dead, I think," said Maruyama. "Don't know if they'll be back on anytime soon."

"Is that a problem?" asked Natsuki.

"I hope not," said Koki. "There's still a bit of light up ahead, though, but it may not be enough. Do you carry torches with you or something? If not, we can ask the Fire Artists for their help."