Chapter 17

While the Meteor Samurai were prepping for a potential enemy attack in their own small room, they were asked to wait in there for Norie Nakai, who was secretary to Yamada. Yamada was tasked Norie to work the preliminary assessment in constructing the quiet and unsuspected route for the tunnel. When there was a loud calling coming from outside the door, Naotaka went over to open it and in front awaited Norie, carrying a tray of tea cups and a laptop bag hanging over her shoulder. The fiery-red ponytailed secretary was in her early thirties, a good friend of Naotaka and a dynamic woman. She wore simple yet feminine trousers and top. It was known she is not a Meteor Artist herself, but is closely in affiliation with the Renmei. She must have been a hard working person, doing all these things. She went over to the desk and placed the tray of tea cups for the samurai and herself to drink, and then she pulled out her laptop and booted it up.

"Phew, you would not believe the time I had spent managing the process. I got some tea for you three," she said.

"How did you go with the preliminary assessment?" asked Naotaka.

"We have about five hundred with us accounted for. Process may take way longer than expected. At best, the last of you will reach the tunnel by night, without being detected at all."

"At this rate, it will be hard for us to leave quietly by the time the enemy forces from Hiroshima most likely arrive. Moving on, have you thought of a plan to make our route any more efficient?"

"I have. It wasn't easy, but it should work. I have already set up a tactical route for our fellow Artists and ninja. There is a hidden route in Kanenokuma they can take, and it will lead them to the tunnel. All the Meteor Artists can't go into separate groups within the timeframe, so I thought of entering the tunnel altogether in one line, like a marching ant colony. The ninja will serve as checkpoints within the route. I thought this idea would provide a faster and continuous flow. Mr. Yamada and Mr. Egawa did take into careful consideration, and they approved it. Maruyama and Natsuki should be at the tunnel entrance by now and Mr. Egawa's son's team will watch out for them."

Then a click came from the door. They all turned around and Sakai at the doorsill. Sakai was unaware they were. When he realised, he was embarrassed and pardoned himself. "My apologies," he said. "I did not know this room is yours. Please excuse me." And he moved on.

Koki kept his head glaring at the door since Sakai showed himself by mistake. The old man was not like this until leaving the lab. Was it because of his research, he thought.

"Hey, guys," said Koki. "Pardon me, I need to go to the restroom." It was a lie, but not completely. In truth, he wanted to speak to Sakai in private, but before that he took the moment to fulfil his word anyway. A simple act like that would the very least clear him of any trivial suspicion. When he was finished in the restroom, he went to look for Sakai and found him in the room at the end of the hallway. He was standing, looking outside the window like a statue. He knocked on his door and asked the old man for a private chat.

"Ah, Otomari, be my guest," said Sakai.

Just like that, Koki was honoured to standing side by side with the doctor. The first thing he asked was if Sakai was worried for Manako and the others.

"I do," he answered. "Maybe I shouldn't have left the lab and just continue on with my work, despite the situation we're in."

"Does your work mean a lot to you?"

He nodded. He really wanted to get the remedy completed, relinquishing himself from the permanent scars of the atomic explosion. Speaking of which, Koki was under a dilemma about asking Sakai about the literal burnt scars over his face, for he would not wish to upset him if it would bring back some painful memories about the time he got them.