Chapter 13

The next day came, and the Meteor Samurai followed the directions given out by Dr. Sakai. Now in their inconspicuous, casual outfits, the samurai made their way out of the hatch. The light blinded them for a second, but everything appeared clear as day. They stood inside the lounge of a pharmacy.

The pharmacist spoke to them and asked if they were associated with Dr. Sakai. The samurai confirmed with her so, and asked her where to get out. "Make your way out of the staff room straight ahead and the exit will be on your right," she said. So they followed her instructions.

They exited the building, and there appeared the city of Hiroshima. They first stopped by at the east of Enko River, nearby Hiroshima Station, capturing the entire sight of the city. Not long, strong and heavy footsteps drew close. They witnessed a patrol of azure and white armoured troops with firearms walking and patrolling by.

"Hagetaka," muttered Naotaka. "Guess they're here too. Let's hurry and meet with Mr. Egawa."

Later, they made their way over to the Egawa household. Their home was also their small sake shop, built mostly with dark-lacquered wood. They met up with Motohiro Egawa, the Renmei's division leader in Chugoku, a stout-looking man in his early fifties, and his wife Yasuko, and once again their son Katsuji, the troublemaker from yesterday.

Motohiro welcomed them and began his statement, "First, let's get this out of the way: I wanted to apologise for my son's unwarranted hostility towards you three yesterday." Then he firmly urged his son to apologise to the samurai for troubling them.

Katsuji faced down at the floor and bowed in apology. He spoke in a constraint voice, "Uh... I'm terribly sorry for the trouble I cause."

"Hey, if you mean it, we're good," said Naotaka with patience.

"He's always like that," said his father. "Because of my status, representing the Fire Artist populace, and running my shop along with my wife, I didn't give him enough attention. For that, I have myself to blame. But don't be too hard on him, he is thriving to be a strong Meteor Artist, even if he needed to rival against you.

"By the way, I got word from Mrs. Isono few days ago. Our Artists are gathered here from nearby towns before you arrival. I trust you will protect us on our journey, correct?"

"That's right," said Naotaka.

"Our next destination is Fukuoka and we're already prepared, but we have to wait because some of our Artists are still at work or at school."

"We'll be able to wait. If all others are ready to embark, they can do so now without being detected."

"Then I will call everyone here and starting travelling to Fukuoka whenever they are pleased. Once all of them are out of the city, we'll head off as well. Where are you staying at the moment?"

"At Dr. Sakai's."

"All right. My wife, Yasuko - the secretary, will give you a call there when the time comes. Till then, help yourself in the city. Just be careful with the Hagetaka, though."

At noon, Koki asked his team, wishing to tour around the city. He learned of this city long ago for being destroyed by the atomic bomb and was interested in checking out. Naotaka and Shintaro accepted and decided to spend the time together exploring and visiting monuments and places affected by the bombing. After visiting a couple of significant places, Koki gazed up at the sky and imagined how massive the explosion had engulfed his entire sight. Everything went white and the buildings around him had evaporated. Difficult and scary to believe. But these thoughts soon brought him to remember a time he wished he had forgotten. The thoughts of the explosion took Koki back to when he was in a battle of Kage-gun troops surrounding him and almost to the death. He was so indulged by his own power and went out of control, with no self-awareness. He killed them like a wild animal, even at the brink of death, all because he was driven by vengeance. He even sent out the dragon of light, wiping out the rest of them. Then he saw his mother running up to him. Unprecedented, he frantically attempted to cease the dragon, but something went wrong, the dragon had exploded and it hurled his mother from behind. The chilling sight of it flashed him before his eyes again. He broke from a trance. What a dreadful memory.