Chapter 22

It was a dark and quiet, but quick journey from here on out. The Water Artists represented the Nagise Medical Foundation were kind and dutiful enough to guide the rally to Shikoku, from setting sail from Oita to Misaki, and then all the way over to the city of Kochi.

Within the boundaries of the city, they arrived at their destination point, the Nagise Medical Foundation Hospital, their last solace of this expedition. It was just a large, plain hospital that looked nothing special or out of the ordinary, but as far as the Meteor Artists were concerned, that hospital held a secret. Many in the Meteor Arts world had known by now, the foundation and its hospital was founded in honour of Reika Nagise, who was the Water Samurai and a significant member of the Renmei of her time. Even Koki had figured it out at this point. Society, on the other hand, had no idea who she truly was, neither were they curious enough to learn about her. But it was as it should be. Its committee kept its origins a secret from the regular people due to being related to Meteor Artists, the Renmei, and Meteor Arts in general. At the time it was founded, Meteor Arts was only known in legends.

Today, it was under the leadership of Reika's descendant, Keiko Okamoto - Saya's mother.

They were being inspected by the guards before entering any further. Everyone was cleared for entry. The guards led them steadily in to the lower levels of the building. As they reached the lowest level, beyond the doors and gates was the sector operated by Water Meteor Artists. It appeared more like an aquarium than a hospital. The rooms and halls have the structure of a traditional Japanese palace, and the hallways are acrylic tunnels, outside of them are reef aquariums but it was weird to see no fauna. However, it was said the aquariums are used as training grounds for Water Artists to manipulate and integrate with the water, such as diving, creating an air bubble and creating currents.

Most employees in the foundation were female Water Artists, learning and practicing their Meteor Arts as well as the art of healing. Male Water Artists happened to be working in the hospital as well, but the majority of them were hulky sentinels dressed up in blue ninja-like uniforms, standing tall and strong like golems.

A sentinel approached to the Meteor Samurai and asked them, "Excuse me. The director wishes an audience with you. And Mr. Egawa and Yamada? Where are they?"

Koki scratched his head, thinking how to explain, "Both of them... were left back in Fukuoka..."

The sentinel remained silent for a moment. "Is there anyone who represents them on their stead?"

"We have relatives of Mr. Egawa here with us - his wife and son. And we have Maruyama and Natsuki, who I believe Mr. Yamada entrusted them to lead the group."

"Please bring them along."

"Wait," Sakai intervened. "Take me along, too."

This sudden appearance confused the sentinel. The guard asked the samurai if he should take him as well.

"It's all right," said Koki. "This is Dr. Sakai and he's one of the Three Oracles."

To declare who Sakai really was put a spark on Saya's face.

The sentinel took a moment to resonate and assess him. Finally, he recalled and act in favour of Sakai. "Yes, of course! Pardon me," he humbly bowed. "Please feel free to come along."

The guards have slid shoji open, and Saya and the sentinel enter while leading the representatives into the director's office.

"Excuse me, Director Okamoto. I brought you the Meteor Samurai and representatives of the Meteor Arts associations of Chugoku and Kyushu."

The office held a traditional Japanese design but majestic. Its perimetre was octagonal and had two half-storeys. Two levels were connected by two stairs side by side. There were no windows in the office, but the walls were coloured in shades of cyan and its scaffolding were coloured in shades of black. The floor on the lower level is in wood and the upper level used tatami. There were also bookshelves on the upper floor and a large portrait of two married couple and a banner hanging right on the centre end of the office.