Chapter 12

Koki narrowed his eyes on the old man, enhancing his vision. Those burnt scars and eye-patch. There was something familiar about his face. It occurred to him he seen photos of the old man in the Archives Room. That man was known by the name of Toshiro Sakai, the 12th Fire Samurai and one of the Three Oracles. Could that be him? The same person he saw in the photos?

Shintaro started to figure the same thing. He asked the old man if he was as Koki suspected.

The old man noticed Shintaro in his Fire Samurai uniform and the sword on his waist. He approached him, and then placed his hand on his shoulder with a smile. "Shintaro Takamiya, is it?" he asked him. He turned to Egawa, staring at him angry and direct. With a firm voice, he told him to go home and take the train straight back to Hiroshima, after hearing how much trouble he caused.

Egawa fearfully nodded and then bowed in apology. He took off with his friends quietly and ran toward the last passageway.

"That Katsuji..." the old man said, dryly. "Trying to prove himself that he's noble and righteous, but all he's been often doing is cause mischief."

Shintaro cleared his throat. "So, are you really Toshiro Sakai, my great-granduncle and one of the Three Oracles?"

"I am..." he answered happily.

The samurai were amazed to hear that.

"And you must be my great-grandnephew, no? These two here are your friends?"

"Y-Yes, sir!" Shintaro bowed strongly.

"No need to get so worked up, we're family after all." The old man took a step back introduce himself to the samurai. The man introduced himself as Dr. Toshiro Sakai, who he nowadays lived his life as a physician. In the past, he was formerly known as both the 12th Fire Samurai and one of the Three Oracles. He went to greet the other samurai in turn, and received their respectful bows.

When Koki straightened his body, he noticed Toshiro was dazed and saw his eyes pointing at his sword, the Dragon Komori. His sword may have reminded him something. He guessed he recognised the sword from before and had something to do with his ancestor Reina.

Sakai shook himself and spoke further. "Pardon me, but why don't lead you all out of here? But before that, may I take a look of your sword just a moment, Shintaro?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," Shintaro handed his Meteor Katana over to his grand-granduncle.

"The Fire Chugusa, my old friend..." Sakai closed his eyes and gave a deep breath through his nostrils. "It has been over seventy years since I last had it in my hands. Now that you're the incumbent Fire Samurai, this weapon belongs to you as well as is your responsibility. Take good care of it." He returned the sword to Shintaro.

Shintaro nodded wilfully.

"Come," Sakai waved in with his head. "I shall lead you the rest of the way."

And through the last passageway they went. With Sakai to follow and no trouble coming their way again, the samurai had finally take this moment to relax.

While on the way, Shintaro asked his great-granduncle about Manako, expressing concern about her. Sakai told him not to worry, for she returned to the lab safe and sound, and even was in distress and unable to speak properly when she reported trouble a moment back with Egawa's company.

Koki gazed around the orange rocky walls, thinking this was where Dr. Sakai set his life underground. He asked of him that was the case.

"You're not far off," said Sakai. "These catacombs are the quickest and secretive route to my laboratory, which is in fact my home."