Chapter 14

The sun was finally down and then came the night sky. Katsuji had been on the job assisting Meteor Artists out of the city since noon, without ever being suspected by the Hagetaka. As of now, he assisted a family of three, a married couple and their son. They were packed and ready to leave. With that, they made their way out of the house and following down the quiet streets.

"You four! Halt!"

They were just stopped by an authoritative voice and now they felt nervous. Just as they feared, two Hagetaka soldiers came approaching them. Katsuji tried remaining calm and asserted the family it would be fine if they just follow him.

"Sorry, but could you all please give us a moment?" asked one of the soldiers.

While under interrogation, the subjects have no choice but to go along in the matter. "Yeah?" said Katsuji.

"You three in particular seem to be carrying bags. Can I ask you where you're going?"

Katsuji began to bluff, "Oh, uh... These are my relatives visiting from outta town! I am about to take them to a restaurant and eat out before they head off."

"I see," said the trooper. "Just to be sure, may we ask for your identification please?"

Katsuji's eyes were shaking, realising he made a mistake.

"Identification please." There was iron in the trooper's voice.

"You know what? Scratch this!" The other trooper seized the patriarch. He reached for his pistol and threatened him at gunpoint, scaring off the subjects. "You should've disclosed your ID sooner! I'm gonna give you to a count of three to comply that you will show some ID before time's up!" He counts slowly, "One... Two..."

Just before the trooper makes his final count, the son stepped in. "Let go of my dad!" he shouted. He fired with a small yet quick fireball, freeing his father from the soldier's grasp.

"What's wrong!?" shouted the first trooper.

"I thought I was caught on fire!" He responded while slapping the pain away.

"What do you mean you were caught on fi- " Then the troopers paused. Nice and easy, they both turned their faces at the subjects and realised something.

Katsuji gave off a nervous but exposed chuckle. "Run!" he shouted. He and the family of three ran off together.

The troopers acted and intercepted all the other troops using their telecommunication device, "Alert: Meteor Artists detected! I repeat: Meteor Artists detected, here in Hiroshima! Requesting orders!"

A voice responded through the device, sounding gruff and also authoritative, "This is General Hashida calling. All troops secure the city immediately!"

"Yes, sir!"

"Can't believe they fell for it too easily!" he partner commented. "I didn't even add bullets in the barrel, see?" He presented the empty pistol cartridge after taking it out from the chamber, surprised him.

____________________________________________________________

The Meteor Samurai were making their way back to Sakai's lab, but right when they entered through the doorway, Manako was waiting for them, glad to see them back right on time.

"Right on time?" said Naotaka, confused. "What's the problem?"

"Dr. Sakai. He needs you to his station."

They rushed over to Sakai's station and saw him standing while holding the phone close to his chest. He did not look happy but rather concerned. The samurai asked him what was happening.