Chapter 28

While running and avoiding conflict, Issei let his instincts take control of the dire situation. Yuuta and Dr. Edamura continued following him. Somehow, they felt safer staying close to Issei. After witnessing his desperation, determination and prudence, they thought the samurai in black had good survival instinct. Issei had no concerned about the two following him, finding Hitomi was all he cared about.

They stopped when they saw a fight so large in scale it would be almost impossible to pass through unless entering the fray would be necessary. Issei looked around for alternative routes, until he saw a door. He reached out to the door and opened it. Nothing inside but an empty and narrow room, but another door on the other side. They rushed over and opened up. He found another hallway as he hoped, and surprisingly a long line of Meteor Artists running away with the sentinels assisting them.

One sentinel stopped as he noticed Issei, Yuuta and Joichiro, he rushed to them. "What are you standing and watching here for!?" he yelled. "Come on! You have to get out of here or you're-" He suddenly stood still, frozen. He got shot and fell down.

They turned their faces and noticed some troops chasing the Artists right on their tail. Issei stepped out and, building up a sphere of dark energy with his hands, he blasted away and threw them down to the ground. They were out cold and gave off no breath.

"You didn't kill them, did you?" asked Yuuta, nervously.

Issei did not catch his question. Now he made a run for it, and the rest followed. Issei ran as far as he could like his life depended on it, but then nearly rammed into more enemy troops. He regained his balance and prepared to engage, but got cornered in a circle. Regardless, he fought with all his spirit and survival instinct. Slashing away with his sword, left and right, back and forth, he defeated all except for one.

Yuuta used his gusting powers to throw the last remaining enemy off guard.

Issei just sensed the movement and delivered an elbow shot to the jaw, leaving the trooper in agonising pain. He stared at Yuuta, surprised and speechless.

"You were being attacked, so I thought I had to help," said Yuuta, breathlessly.

"Come on, we can't stand here. Let's go," Edamura insisted.

They ran further onward to the northeast section of the floor and bumped into Shintaro and Sakai, assisting the Egawas, Amano and Kawada.

"You guys okay?" asked Shintaro.

"We're fine," said Yuuta. "We need to get out of here."

"We're making our way to the northeast exit."

They followed the line and all the way till they arrived at the exit, guarded by Maruyama and Natsuki. Shintaro asked them how the situation was.

"It was terrible at first, but we're standing our ground better than we thought," said Natsuki.

Shintaro directed his followers to enter through the gate, "You guys go on ahead. I'll stay here and hold the enemy off."

"Shintaro, are you sure about this?" asked Sakai.

"Don't worry. These guys are pieces of cake."

Katsuji and Yasuko nodded. They made their escape, accompanied by Amano and Kawada.

Sakai however stood by watching his great-grandnephew holding his ground. He witnessed as he saw Shintaro using valiant effort to blockade any troopers approaching him. He began to acknowledge how Shintaro has grown up to be a fine Meteor Samurai, and finally he took his leave.

"What about the woman?" asked Issei. "Did she go through this way!?"

"You mean Hitomi?" asked Shintaro.