Chapter 9

By the time they stepped out the cool, shaded forest, the sun began to rose up, revealing itself to the earth and delivered the yellow sky before it turned blue. They never thought the journey on foot start off a sunny day so divine yet so blazing. The samurai tread hours into the late, scorching morning on a vast plain field above the roads. The hard and slow path to Hiroshima may turn out to be an excruciated one than they had anticipated. A two day travel they expected it, but not so much of the currently harsh climate and apparent obstacles standing their way, which could delay them further.

As assigned, Shintaro as Senpō led the way, followed by Koki as Chūken and their leader Naotaka as Taishō. They kept walking and walking, almost non-stop, to meet and join with the forests and mountains, away from civilisation, should they avoid the Hagetaka.

Koki felt the journey grew tiresome quick, but he did not complain. It was too early, anyway. He kept his eyes on Shintaro's back, not just to follow him but to watch out for his surrounding, too. He did not think he took the hiking harder than he did.

Not often he could see how Naotaka was doing when he was behind his rear, but Koki sensed this was not difficult for him. Not once since early in the morning he heard him pant. He heard his footsteps continuing. He even took a few occasions of looking back at him. For a man of his strength and burly physique, he figured Naotaka took it easy.

There was one thing they all agreed on, they found the sunny heat torturous. However, talking about random, trivial topics helped them forget the heat affecting them.

Koki felt his mind slipping away and turned passive as he ascended the hills, but at least Shintaro's red clothes would not let his eyes go. No way could he miss them, they were distinct from the rest of the wilderness and had him like a fish on a hook. When suddenly Shintaro stopped, Koki stopped as well. So did Naotaka.

Shintaro lifted his arm and pointed his finger at something. They saw he was pointing at a line of greenery in front of a mountain range. "A forest!" Shintaro panted, yet there was excitement in his voice. But it could be a mirage, he asked Koki to pinch him if this was all a dream. Nothing. The team was pleased to find shelter in the forest and walked straight into it.

They stopped inside the rim of the forest for a moment, catching their breath. Finally, the cool air and fresh oxygen produced by the trees relieved them from the dense, scorching heat. Delving deep into the forest, engulfed by the magical sunny glow of the tree leaves. But the soothing immersion came to an abrupt cease when an arrow struck the ground, stopping them. But there was something tied to it. A folded paper. No doubt a notice from the allied ninja. They exchanged looks thinking one should examine the arrow, and Shintaro was urged to check it.

Naotaka asked away, "Well, Senpō? What is it?"

"It says, 'Turn left now. You are nearing the city of Takahashi.'" Rendered in an awkward silence. "Oh, c'mon!" Shintaro burst out as he turned around. "We've been walking for a couple of hours and we're not even halfway!?" He crouched in exasperation.

"Not used to walk in nature, eh?" wondered Naotaka. "It's a two-day walk to Hiroshima. It's not surprising to say the least. Why don't we stop and take a lunch break? After that, we can continue."

Koki nodded in agreement.

"Come on, Senpō. Let's find a nice spot to eat. Maybe some food will cheer you up."

Shintaro sighed. "Okay..."

They followed the note's direction and came across a small crater in the middle of the forest, where it was desolate and open yet quiet and peaceful, though there were few birds flying by, and many standing and chirping on the branches of the trees.