Chapter 32

Evening had come. The incumbent Meteor Samurai were called by Kae the secretary to meet with Naoki at his office. Naoki introduced them the elderly visitor next to him, his father and Taro's grandfather, Masaharu Suzuki, formerly known as the 13th Wind Samurai and previous president of the Ryusei Geijutsu Renmei. Although retired and residing in Okinawa with his wife, he ran his own kendo school. He was not only a well respected president but has also been a great friend of his fellow Meteor Samurai, 14th and 13th generation, and Toshiro Sakai of the 12th generation. He was incredibly surprised and amazed to see Sakai in person again, learning he still lived. It delighted him to have such a large reunion than he anticipated, and meet new and current Meteor Samurai whom he never met. Every year, he came to Kyoto to visit his family and the Renmei, as well as to join kendo sessions as a guest instructor and enjoy wandering around the city and socialise with his family and former associates.

Masaharu faced toward the three samurai whom he never met – Koki, Issei and Hikaru. He greeted them, and Koki and Hikaru bowed in honour. However, Issei has yet to do the same, leaving everyone else a sour and silent reaction.

"Uh, Issei?" Taro notified.

"Uh, nice to meet you, too," Issei followed along, reluctantly.

Masaharu got the impression of Issei not being as respectful or collective, not even interested. He rubbed his chin and gazed at the samurai in black, studying him. He returned to the rest of the samurai and went on, "I heard you all dealt a crushing blow to the Kage-gun last year." He turned to his son, looking direct. "You've a lot of explaining to do, after what happened in Hakata and the Nagise Hospital."

"Of course," responded Naoki, stiffly.

"So, Suzuki-sensei, do you have more techniques and styles to teach the members here?" asked Saya.

"You know I always do," said Masaharu. "Every year, he would teach the students new things. But due to the current circumstances you're in, I say it's high time we take everything up a notch." He ended with a sinister giggle.

The Meteor Samurai felt uneasy, expecting his lessons will be far more vigorous than what he normally teaches.

Masaharu had accounted six of the samurai here, but noticed they were missing Naotaka and Atsushi. He heard what happened to Naotaka, but then he asked about Atsushi.

"He is carrying out his mission in Sapporo," said Taro. "Everything for him is going good, thus far."

"Well, I hope he's doing well. Anyway, I believe Tachibana-sensei will be leading the session tonight, yes? Because I'll be joining as well."

"You're joining? But you just arrived today and don't you feel tired after that?" asked Hikaru.

"Tired? Are you making fun of my age, just because I get tired easily?" asked Masaharu, firmly.

"Uh, no. I thought you'd be tired after a long flight," he responded, embarrassed.

Masaharu just burst out his laugh. "I'm just teasing. I may be old, but I can still fight. The thing is I want join this session because we got plenty of Meteor Samurai attending."

"Unfortunately, I won't be joining tonight," said Saya. "I will be joining with the nurses in the infirmary. Our injured members are in need of medical attention."

"That's a shame, but do what you must," said Masaharu. "You aren't just a wonderful samurai, but a wonderful healer, too. You should be proud."

Flustered by his compliment, Saya brushed herself neatly and bowed in appreciation.

Naoki gave his ending statement, "All right. Everyone, do get ready for training this evening, while the first-aid volunteers help the injured. Now if you excuse me, I have to get home, preparing for dinner. Till then, you're dismissed."