Chapter 26

"Miss Hitomi... So, you're all refreshed now, I trust?" asked Saya, greyly.

"That's right," she answered. "Thank you for directing me to the bathroom, Miss Okamoto."

Doctor Sakai asked the samurai if both Issei and Hitomi were friends of them. 'Not exactly,' so he was told. They could just move on and head over to Sakai's room, but the old man himself wished to stick around a bit longer and have a moment to the two unfamiliar couple. He had shown a bit of interest as he took a gander on Issei. The black and purple samurai attire and the Shadow Matsuoka on his waist, he acknowledged.

"You there, boy," said the old man. "You must be the Shadow Samurai, yes?"

"Yes," he stammered. Issei was trembling and staring down at the ground, almost as if he looks like he was troubled but hesitant to express.

"Issei, what's wrong?" asked Koki. "And why is your outfit so wet?"

"I tripped..." he stammered again.

"Pardon me," Hitomi filled in. "You see, I was about to fall as I got out of the bath until Issei came to my rescue, which was why he fell before I did." She pointed her eyes at Issei and asked away with a pretentious smile, "Isn't that right?"

"Yes," Issei answered, still stammering.

"Really?" said Saya, unconvinced.

Issei could not assure any further as he was shivering in fear.

"Please don't mind him. It was shocking after what happened. The fact he touched my body must've been overwhelming for him." She played around, bringing her palms onto her cheeks and acting bashful. "I thought he looked kinda cute when he literally caught me by surprise."

Shintaro was blushing red. "Oh ho, so that's why you were mad at Issei," he said to Saya.

"Not another word," murmured Saya.

Koki stared at Issei so oddly. It was not a characteristic he saw of Issei. "This was... very unusual of you, Issei, considering how brazen you are," he said. He hoped to hear more from Issei, but he struggled to say any further.

"Excuse me, but do you where Mr. Saito is?" asked Hitomi.

"Funny thing is we've been looking for him, too," replied Shintaro.

"That's fine. I'll just keep looking. Thanks for your time."

Koki had watched Hitomi walked off, but he noticed Issei not follow her as he should. He gazed at Issei, who was still in the same spot. He observed him, not moving a muscle and seemed upset.

Everything was gone from his mind when Koki just remembered something. He called to her, "Miss Hitomi, wait! Sorry it this sounds out of nowhere, but what's your last name?"

Hitomi turned around. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious, that's all."

"Why don't we talk about this a little later? Incidentally, there's something else I like to tell you. This is just between you and me."

"Me?" bewildered Koki.

"Him?" bewildered Saya and Shintaro.

"I'll check with you later," concluded Hitomi.

"Wait!" Saya said aloud. "Let us have a moment with Issei." She turned to him, "Issei, what was going on?"

"Nothing," he stammered.

"Are you sure?" asked Shintaro.

"Yes."

Saya shook her head in denial. "I'm not buying that. Please tell us."