Chapter 16

Morning had come in Hakata. Koki was still on the floor sleeping. He could hear the oil boiling and snappy, as well as the cooked, savoury aroma, and the water coming from the bathroom splashing. Still, he was stuck in a dream phase. He could wake up from his sleep, but would not bother taking the time to.

Footsteps drew closer, and Koki felt a hand on his shoulder, shaking him, and then some tapping to his cheeks. He was a little bothered by it.

"Come on, Koki. Wake up."

He heard Naotaka calling to him and finally shook out of his slumber. He scanned around until he gazed at Naotaka in the eye, kneeling next to him.

"It's over quarter past seven. I made some breakfast. Get 'em while it's hot."

"All right," Koki answered dryly as he got up from the floor and removed the blanket off of him. He went over to sit at the kitchen counter, where he was left with a plate of a thick slice of toast, almost as thick as a brick, and with some butter and then fried eggs, sunny-side up, on top. He took a bite out of his bread and eggs altogether. Not bad, he thought. A nice hot breakfast may had brighten his day. Then he was distracted by the loud splashing coming from the bathroom. No doubt Shintaro was washing himself before getting ready for the day, too.

"We need to be at the Yamada household before nine," said Naotaka. "So get ready before then."

Just in time when Koki finished his breakfast, Shintaro came out of the bathroom naked while drying his face and soaked hair with his towel. In turn, Koki entered the bathroom and washed himself.

It was a quarter past eight and the samurai were all set to go, all dressed in casual clothes and carrying backpacks. They left the apartment made their way over to the Yamada household like the ordinary civilians they were. It was about a fifteen minute walk to the destined point and they were some Hagetaka troops lingering about. All of the Hagetaka soldiers hardly showed interest in the samurai, some did not even bother focused on them. Either the samurai's casual attires and blending with the normal locals, either off to work or school, did not stand them out, or, from the looks of it, the soldiers were just too laid-back that none of them had ever yet to find any Meteor Artists in the city. Hopeful that it were the case, for they had known by now and that was to never underestimate their wits and their knack.

They arrived was at the Yamada household several minutes before. It was a large house located in one of the quiet streets adjacent to many mansion buildings. When they entered, they met up with Dr Sakai, the Egawas, and the leader of the Earth Artists, Takefumi Yamada, who was a middle-aged, sage-like and soft-spoken.

All went inside Yamada's own office and conducted the meeting. Before then, Yamada was on the phone with the president of the Renmei, discussing about the next plan. He stated the next objective was to make their way to the city of Oita by tonight, where the Water Artists would await them. With their enemy, the Hagetaka, present and with many Meteor Artists rallied up here in the city, it would had to be done thoroughly. And without dismissing the possibility of more Hagetaka forces in Hiroshima chasing them, it would be difficult. Yamada added more detail which had glimmered some optimism and saved them some trouble. All of the Meteor Artists in southern Kyushu had joined up with the rest in Shikoku before their arrival from Hiroshima. Meteor Artists across northern Kyushu have all rallied up waiting for further instructions.

"The Meteor Samurai, Fire Artists from West Chugoku and Earth Artists from Northern Kyushu have all rallied up here in Hakata," confirmed Yamada. "But you suppose it's better we leave for Oita much earlier rather than tonight?"

"Most definitely, Mr Yamada," said Naotaka. "Hagetaka forces unfortunately have discovered us in Hiroshima, and they know we made our way here in the region. So we expect they'll be coming over and catch us."