chapter 19 - Malevolent Legend

Author's notes:

Enjoy this lore created by Gojo, Sukuna and Uraume during their role-play game.

~~~

Once upon a time, there were Infinity Dragons. They were said to be created out of pure light. Each dragon could have different colors of fur and eyes. But they were all majestic dragons with smooth white scales. People believed that they existed to protect the world from evil as they take orders from the gods and would answer to prayers of loyal believers. Shrines were built to worship them.

One day, a ball of eternal flame appeared inside one of the shrines on top of a mountain. It floated mid-air soundlessly. Humans believed it was a sign from the gods. They would pray to the flame for blessings and present food offerings. Day by day, the flame absorbed the food offerings and got stronger from the humans' faith.

As it burned brighter, a trill sounded in the air. Wings of fire unfurled and the flame revealed himself to be a phoenix. Engulfed in fire, the large bird opened his piercing red eyes and flexed his sharp claws. When the flame slowly dissipated, a magnificent bird with bright red feathers and golden markings all over his body stood in all his glory. Hono was born.

The world was greeted with its first and only phoenix.

The dragons of Infinity Realm were not pleased with this. How dare the little bird resided in one of their shrines and stole away their humans' faith? Mythical beings gained power from faith and this new fireball was disrupting one of their sources. Humans were worshiping the bird, calling him a phoenix. They said the bird came from the Holy Fire. The dragons seethed. Holy Fire? More like hellfire.

Years had gone by and the phoenix had become stronger than ever. That shrine became one the most popular ones. Humans who had heard of it from all over the world would visit the shrine with offerings. Nobles and royalties had gone to see the phoenix. On Hono's birthday, festivals were created to celebrate its birth to the world. There were dances and songs of praise and celebration. Hono would fly from the shrine to the festival every year, sounding his own beautiful trill to give his believers his blessings as the humans cheered and admired him. Hono thrived in all the power gained from his believers.

The dragons had ignored the phoenix. They hated its existence but they'd like to think they weren't that petty to kill another mythical being just for existing and getting more attention. It all changed when the Emperor himself had gone to see the phoenix.

The dragons were fuming. The Emperor represented 'Dragon' and he was known as a 'Dragon' among humans. Each Emperor was well-loved and protected by the Infinity Dragons. The Emperor was the dragons' little human. Not only was the Emperor considered one of them, he also represented an entire country. Compared to any others, faith and blessings from an emperor were a lot more powerful and mythical beings could get a lot stronger from it. This wretched little blaze of a bird was taking all that were supposed to belong to the dragons. The Infinity Dragons had enough of this.

Dragons flew to the shrine to attack the phoenix. They just wanted to kill it and get done with it. However, they had underestimated how strong the phoenix truly was. Throughout all the years of getting visits, prayers and offerings from humans, the phoenix's power was on par and possibly more powerful than the Infinity Dragons. His claws could break through their tough scales and his fire could burn through their skin.

Being considered as something divine by the humans, the phoenix certainly didn't look anything close to that now. The phoenix perched on top of its shrine, looking down at the destruction calmly. Remains of dragons scattered around the place. There were bodies of dragons sliced in half. Ashes of dragons which were burnt inside out by inferno flame drifted in the air.