Chapter 4: Lorenzo

He was in a dark suit that even failed to hide his great figure. The man walked toward her in fast strides, and in no time he arrived in front of Alana, who had crouched down to the ground because of Lilah’s pull.

After the loud sound faded, only then did she realize that she wasn’t shot. She whipped her head behind to see the man with a bushy beard had his feet shot. The police had arrived.

“Alana!” He came right in front of her and asked. “Are you alright?”

“I am al—"

However, the man didn’t wait for her answer as he immediately scooped her into his arms and carried her in a princess style.

“What are you doing? Put me down.” Alana tried to struggle, but the man still didn’t let go of her. After a while, she stopped and looked at Lilah worriedly. “How about you Lilah? Are you hurt anywhere?”

“I am perfectly fine.” Lilah stood up straight, glancing at the man who was carrying Alana with a cold expression on his face, her eyes narrowed.

“Really?” Alana asked again with uncertainty. “Let me help you untie your rope. Lorenzo, put me down, I want to help Lilah.”

However, as soon as she finished saying that, a police officer came and helped Lilah to untie her rope, making Alana speechless.

“Don’t move too much,” He said again.

“I can walk on my own.” She protested.

“Your foot is injured.” He replied to her, and only then did she realize the throbbing pain in her foot. She had lost one of her shoes and her foot had stepped on a sharp stone.

She fell silent. The man began to walk into his car after signaling for Lilah to follow them. He put her in the passenger seat while Lilah sat in the backseat.

“Are you not going to introduce us…?” Lilah raised her eyebrow, and Alana began to have a headache from seeing her expression.

“This is Lilah Adams, my best friend.” She spoke to him while gesturing to Lilah, then she pointed to him. “This is Lorenzo Miller…”

She stopped for a moment, a bit confused about how to address him. Lorenzo glanced at her briefly, at her hesitation. There was not much of an expression when she heard Alana’s next words. “He is my brother’s friend.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr Miller.” Lilah said succinctly while Lorenzo just gave a simple nod.

“Lorenzo, how do you know that we are here?” Alana suddenly asked after some seconds of silence. This question has been lingering on her mind after her chaotic thoughts settled down.

If she remembered it correctly, this man should be in another country right now, handling his expanding business. The Miller family was a family on a par with the Wilson family, and Lorenzo was the only son from the current generation, the sole heir.

“I have my own way.” He seemingly didn’t want to continue the topic further. Alana furrowed her brows at his answer, but since he didn’t want to talk about it, she also didn’t ask. The ride took a half an hour before they arrived at the destination. It was a hospital.

“Do you mind waiting?” He asked Lilah.
Of course, Lilah shook her head. She followed them and under Alana’s suggestion; she did a medical checkup to find if they had put poison or other thing on her. Alana was fine except for her foot, which was bruised. The doctor quickly bandaged it.

“Can I ask you something?” Alana said as she looked around them, as if afraid that someone would suddenly appear out of nowhere and scare her. Lilah was currently having her turn to undergo a medical checkup.

Lorenzo shifted his attention from his phone to her, who was sitting on the hospital bed. She was slightly flustered, but she still opened her mouth. “Can you not tell my brother?”

Just as she finished saying that, she heard an angry voice. “Not telling me what?”

Jayden Wilson walked into the room with his stern look. He pushed his glasses up as he asked his sister in a stern tone. “You’re getting better at hiding important things from me now, Alana.”

“Jayden, you are scaring her.” Lorenzo suddenly blocked Jayden. He patted his shoulder. “Calm down first.”

Jayden let out a deep breath, and then stared at Alana, who had her gaze down on the floor, suddenly finding the white color interesting. This brother of hers should have found out what happened at Albert and Cecil’s wedding, too.

“I couldn’t contact you after I called you so many times.” Jayden began. “I tracked your phone and asked for Lorenzo’s help because he is closer to your location compared to me.”

The wedding was still going on at that time, but Alana had excused herself early. Her brother must have called her to ask how she was doing.

Alana lifted her face, blinking innocently at Lorenzo. Behind that gaze, of course Lorenzo understood the words she wanted to convey. She wanted to say, ‘so that’s the reason you didn’t tell me how you know where and that something has happened to me. You didn’t want me to run away’.

Lorenzo only raised one of his eyebrows and said nothing. Her brother sighed at seeing her expression, as if he couldn’t bear to scold her further.

“You are coming home with me.” He said, sounding the alarm in her head.
At the same time, Lilah, who had finished her medical checkup, entered the room. She realized that she might have interrupted a serious discussion.

“The result is I am perfectly alright.” She told Alana, who was already looking at her. “You don’t need to worry. But it seems like I have interrupted your discussion. I shall excuse myself now too, because the police have called me to give a statement as one of the victims.”

An idea suddenly struck Alana’s head. “Don’t I need to give a statement to the police, too? Then, shouldn’t I go with Lilah?”

Her brother sneered at her. “You can give a statement another time. Now, you are coming with me.”

She could only sigh and shouted at Lilah, who was heading out to be careful.

“They found your phone cracked in the bushes.” Lorenzo suddenly spoke as he shoved a brand new phone at her. “This is similar to the model you usually use and with the same phone number.”

“Ah?” Alana was surprised, and she accepted the phone box in her hand with confusion.

“Thank you. I will pay the money back to you later.” Jayden pushed his glasses up, his eyes narrowed at Lorenzo.

“I can also pay. Sorry for the trouble, Lorenzo.” Alana suddenly chipped in.

“No problem,” Lorenzo answered nonchalantly.

Alana took the phone out and tried the available features. It was similar to the previous phone she had, but some features were more advanced.

Lorenzo and her brother was talking about some business thing that she didn’t bother to listen. She continued to fiddle with her new phone. Her expression gradually turned into a displeased one when she saw an incoming call.

It was from Albert, her ex-fiance. His name made her recall what had happened today, especially how she landed on this unfavorable situation. The memory of the grievance she experienced in her previous life also surfaced; Albert’s accusation rang so hurtfully in her head.

Just as she was clicking on it, her finger accidentally answered an incoming phone call.

It was from Albert. She didn’t have the time to react before Jayden suddenly snatched the phone and held it high.