Chapter 8: With Him

Unedited.

What happened this morning flooded to her mind and she stood there stupefied, rooted to the ground. Her face was slightly hot, feeling a bit disbelief that she actually embarrassingly had fallen asleep during Lorenzo’s company.

“Alana? Are you awake yet?” Someone knocked on the door, making her flustered. She bit on her lips, then walked to open the door.

Lorenzo was standing outside the door, his hair was still wet as if he had just come out from the bathroom. When he stepped closer and put his hand on her forehead, she could even smell the soap on him.

“I am going to invite a doctor, I’ll call her right away.” He said as he stepped back. He handed the package he had been holding to her hand, and she accepted it whilst still in a daze.

Even after he turned around and left, she could still smell the lingering pleasant scent. She recovered herself a moment later and almost forgot what she was about to do. There was food in the package that he handed to her. She put it on the table and began to take a shower.

When she came out, Lorenzo was already back. She didn’t bring her clothes, so she used the one she was wearing again. Speaking of clothes, she asked him. “The one who changed my clothes…?”

“It’s the auntie housekeeper who came to take care of the house,” he explained, and she heaved a sigh of relief. “Don’t worry about the clothes, it’s new. I have never used them before.”

“The doctor will be here in half an hour. You skipped lunch. Have you eaten your dinner?” He asked, reminding her of her naggy brother.

“Do you want to have dinner together?” Alana assumed that he also hadn’t eaten his dinner yet. At this hour, he probably just returned from his office.

“Let’s go downstairs.” He nodded, taking the package in one hand and grabbing her hand in the other.

She blinked in surprise and couldn’t help but ask him. “Why do you have to hold my hand…?"

“You are a patient now, I have to make sure that you walk safely. What if you feel weak because you didn’t eat your lunch and fell?” He raised an eyebrow.
She rolled her eyes at him. Was she that weak? Skipping one lunch wouldn’t make her unable to walk.

“Your brother was looking for you.”
She nearly tripped, luckily, he was ready to catch her as if he had expected this reaction when he dropped the bomb. He pulled the chair and she sat on it. She looked impatient as she stared at him. “What did he say? What did you say to him? How was his tone of voice? His expression too?”

“He is not in another city right now.” He watched as the girl heaved a sigh of relief, her hand on the chest, and she took a few more deep breaths to calm herself down.

She narrowed her eyes and accused him. “Why didn’t you say that earlier. Nearly scaring me.”

That’s right. Had he been available in the city, her brother would definitely rush here and drag her back home. He didn’t seem to like that she sometimes was being too close to Lorenzo.

“I was about to tell you, but you suddenly bombarded me with those questions.” He also sat down.

She grunted. As cold and strict as he was outside, she knew that this man wasn’t like this inside. In fact, if he was paired with her brother, they would even dare to raze a mountain to the ground. He must have been teasing her.

“What did my brother say?” She asked after a long pause of silence.

If her brother was on a business trip somewhere, it meant that he might have called her phone and asked people at home after a few unanswered phone calls. Another strong possibility was that her father had called him after seeing that she had gone out in a rage, though the possibility was low.