Chapter 20: Previous Life

“Miss, what are you doing here?” The newly hired housekeeper was stunned upon seeing Alana, who was in the kitchen. She inquired in a concerned tone, “Do you need something from the kitchen? I can deliver it to you, madam.”

“No, I just want to try to make a new dish I just learned.” Alana smiled, putting the strands of hair back behind her ear. With a quick series of action, her hair had already been neatly tied.

“A new dish?” The housekeeper asked curiously. “Madam is going to cook?”

“Yeah, I have a lot of free time, so I decided to learn to cook.” She answered kindly.

After she got married to Albert, he didn’t want her to work, so she had a lot of free time and nothing to do. As she couldn’t continue her career as a screenwriter who often ran around in the shooting scenes all day, she decided to learn to cook.

It was boring to spend the whole day reading books or watching films. The household chores were also done by the housekeepers already—not that anyone would let her do any such a job; not the Wilson family and definitely also not Albert.

She had taken a special course from talented chefs for that. All the food she learned to cook was based on his preferences. This time, she wanted to surprise him by making his favorite dish. It was concerning to see him working so hard that when he arrived home, he’d directly fall asleep.

“Do you need my help, madam?” The housekeeper asked her again.

“Not for now.” Alana shook her head. Her eyes didn’t move away from the tomato she was cutting. “Thank you, but don’t mind me. You can continue to do other things without worry.”

“Alright. If you need anything, just call me, madam.” The housekeeper had an unsure look on her face. Then she turned around and left.

There was only Alana in the kitchen now. She checked her watch and found that it was 5 p.m, two hours before Albert usually got back from work.
The company is expanding steadily now, and it has put a lot more pressure on him. The time could be a little more later, but she wanted to make sure that she finished everything in two hours.

Alana moved around in the kitchen quickly, washing the meat and vegetables, cutting them, or frying and boiling the ingredients. At one point, she accidentally cut her finger and a lot of blood came out. She hissed in pain and had to stop the activity a bit to bandage it.

Her next steps became more arduous because she had to endure the pain. She persisted until two hours later that she was able to finish three dishes.

Tiredness spread all over her body, but she just smiled in satisfaction. After wiping the sweat from her forehead, she washed her hands and began to serve them on the table.

The housekeeper had come to check up on her an hour ago before she returned home.

After setting the table, she checked the time. Albert’s phone was probably put in a silent mode and he hadn’t answered her message since.

She sat down in a chair. The dishes in front of her still had steam coming off them and indeed they were best when consumed while they were still warm. However, Albert hadn’t returned yet, and she intended to wait. She gripped the phone in her hands and began to watch some newly released movie.

The ticking clock had become an increasingly apparent voice in the dining room. An hour and a half had passed and there was still no sign of Albert. He even hadn’t replied to her message. Is he that busy? Alana wondered.