Chapter 10: Cold

Let's just say that most chapters are unedited :(

When Alana had arrived outside, she saw that Lorenzo’s car was still parked in front of the house. She adjusted her expression and approached him, who was sitting in the front of the steering wheel.

“What are you doing here? I thought there’s important matters waiting for you.” She asked in a concerned tone.

However, the man was instead still gazing at her unblinkingly, gradually making her flustered. She waved her hand in front of his face and tilted her head to the side.

“Get in the car. I was waiting for you.” He said softly, as if afraid of scaring her.
It was Alana’s turn to be confused. “Don’t you have urgent matters waiting for you?”

He just shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly as he got out and opened the passenger for her. It put a smile on her face as she thanked him.

“I don’t know, it was suddenly cancelled.”

She was still confused but didn’t ask further, only giving him a somewhat restrained smile. It wasn’t known how far he had heard their conversation. “Sorry for the trouble. You also had to witness such a joke.”

“No, don’t mention it, sorry for what happened… are you alright?” He glanced at her hesitantly. “You can come to me if you need something.”

She only nodded stiffly and Lorenzo didn’t bother her any longer. Alana really appreciated him right now, despite their awkward relationship with each other, he still helped her. She also needed to gather her chaotic thoughts together over what happened in the past few days.

After some time, they finally arrived at her apartment. She asked him, “Do you want to come in?”

Lorenzo shook his head, as if he could understand that Alana needed to be alone right now. He gave her a smile that brought her in a daze, then said, “Thank you, but I’ll be glad if you invite me another time.”

After he left, only then she recovered her senses. It was still the same smile as many years ago that had stirred her heart. Nearly lost in the memory of the past again, Alana shook her head and smiled wryly.

She opened the door to her apartment. The darkness and silence hit her harder than before after tasting the ethereal warmth. After turning on the lamp, she just shook her head and threw herself on the bed, not willing herself to succumb into negative thoughts. Her grandfather didn’t came even though it was so rowdy earlier because usually he had gone to sleep around that time.

Falling asleep without her realizing it, she woke up at dawn. There had been some missed calls and messages from Lilah. Her friend had asked her to meet in a restaurant near her apartment and she agreed as it was only a few minutes walk.

She prepared herself as she waited for the meet up time. The morning air felt refreshing as she walked. She was so lost in her daydream that she nearly passed the restaurant if not for Lilah pulling her back.

“What were you thinking?” She flicked the shorter girl’s forehead, earning her a glare.

“Don’t hang out with my brother… His bad habit is rubbing off you.” Alana pouted her lips as she clutched her forehead. Lilah dragged her inside and the two picked a quiet corner away from other people.

It was still very early in the morning and there were not many customers. Alana looked at Lilah worriedly once they sat down. “None bothered you after that incident, right?”

She was referring to the time when they were nearly kidnapped by a bunch of criminals. Lilah shook her head and pursed her lips. “I am even more worried about you. Were those guys after you?”

Although the two criminals were shortly executed after they were caught, there were still two on the run. Lilah seemed to have sunk into deep thoughts. She was worried when she saw Lilah like this. Subconsciously, she bit her nails as she asked worriedly. “They must be… are you afraid? It will implicate you if you continue to hang out with me like this.”

“Don’t underestimate me.” Lilah raised one of her eyebrows. “I am not such a coward… but, have you found who is behind all of this?”

Alana was worried, but she let out a breath of relief when she saw Lilah’s response. She couldn’t deny she was anxious that Lilah might leave her after she had involved her in such a big trouble, however, she also didn’t want her to leave her. At the same time, she was also worried if Lilah would be in danger in the future because of her.

“For your information, the entertainment industry also isn’t filled with rainbows and roses.” Lilah shook her head upon seeing Alana’s expression. She knew what she was thinking. “Some have tried to plot against me before, so don’t worry about it. The person who schemed against you should lie low for now that their plan failed.”

Alana sank into a thought, and she muttered. “I have a guess it might be that person. After all, that person hated me so much, but there might be a bigger force behind this as well.”

Just like her cheating scandal, there were many forces involved who were so eager to pull her down. Hence, the originally small fire burned so fiercely in the end. Such stories between rich families weren’t uncommon; they just weren’t brought out into the public or had caused so much ripples like she did.

“Your brother must be worried to let you live alone like this.” Lilah suddenly spoke. “You are back to your apartment, right?”

There were few people who were aware of the real drama in her family. Outside, she seemed like someone who had been discarded by her family, though the truth was that she moved out of her own volition.

“Since when have you been so familiar with my brother?” Alana blinked, asking her curiously.

Lilah coughed at the unexpected question, then glared at Alana. “Don’t try to change the subject.”

Alana rolled her eyes, then she used one hand to support her cheek as she scrutinized Lilah with narrowed eyes. The breakfast they ordered arrived a moment later, interrupting their conversation.

“My brother doesn’t know I am back at the apartment yet.” She thought, then added. “The place should be safe.”

“It’s outside that isn’t safe.” Lilah agreed. She had visited Alana’s apartment several times and knew that the security was good. Her brother had installed some protection devices and without Alana’s personal fingerprint, one couldn’t get in the room.

“I won’t need to go out so much anymore.” She curved her lips as she thought of something.

Lilah raised her eyebrow, seemingly thinking of something. However, their attention soon was attracted by something else at the door. There was a couple entering the restaurant and they knew very well who they were.

The newly wedded couple, Albert and Cecil.