Chapter 12: Resign

“Isn’t it obvious? There’s no need to ask.” She answered sarcastically.

Albert gripped her hand tighter so that it started to hurt. She frowned and said in a displeased tone. “Let go of me. Don’t make your wife misunderstand later.”

“You didn’t come yesterday.” He said with a hard tone, speaking like a superior to his subordinate. “I can let go of that, but you should come today.”

When he finally let go of her, Alana took a few steps back and rubbed her hands. She still had her hoodie up so people might not recognize her yet.

“I don’t want to come.” Alana didn’t bother being polite to him. She turned her body back as people were starting to be attracted by the two of them, especially when Cecil’s voice sounded. “Darling, who is that?”

“It’s just an employee. She didn’t come yesterday without notice, so I was worried.” Albert said smoothly.
Under her face that was half covered by her hair and hoodie, Alana rolled her eyes.

“Excuse us, I’ll talk to her for a bit. She has experienced something rough lately.” With that, Albert caught Alana’s hand and dragged her outside, away from the people’s attention.

“You still have the obligation to fulfill, Alana. Remember, you are still working under me.” Albert said with a frown on his forehead. “Unless you are interested in breaching the contract.”

It was indeed her fault for being too stupid when she signed that contract. She believed him too much that she didn’t read the clause where she should pay an exorbitant amount in case she resigned. He had practically chained her to his company with that contract.

She was young, hasty, and rash. It was also under her stepmother’s manipulation that she did all of this. In her desperation for comfort after she left her home, she signed the contract of working with Albert, thinking she had someone she relied on and a new home.

Now, she was still his assistant, a thorn in the eye for Cecil that he refused to erase also. Of course, she had a great contribution to the company. Despite not really being interested in the field of business and preferring to be a scriptwriter, she inherited the Wilson blood in her that made her good at business.

Alana snatched her hand from him. After a while, she saw Lilah who was heading toward them with a displeased expression.

“You’ll see later.” She walked away from him at the same time that Cecil ran toward the two of them.

“Who is the name of the employee, Darling? Maybe we can help her?” Cecil’s usual kind-hearted smile appeared a bit stiff and a little forced. Alana didn’t doubt that this woman might have recognized her but was unwilling to call out her real identity. It would create unfavorable gossip for them.

Lilah took Alana’s hands and the two got in the car and drove away without even looking back at Albert’s gradually darkening expression. However, when he saw the text in his hand from Alana who said that she’d come today, his expression eased slightly.

“Let’s go find another restaurant.” Cecil suggested to him, taking one of his arms. “Or you’ll be late to your work later. It’s not good to skip your meal.”

Albert looked away from his phone, nodded and smiled at Cecil as if to reassure her.

Meanwhile, away from them, Lilah drove Alana to the police station to give her victim statement while she herself went to her work to shoot for a small commercial advertisement.

Alana spent some hours in the police station and by the time she finished, it’s already some hours late to her ‘work’. She could almost imagine Albert’s fuming expression right now. However, she also had already steeled herself for the decision she was about to make.