Chapter 17: Memory

She dreamed about the memories from some years ago, and it felt as fresh as it was just yesterday.

During high school, Alana harbored a secret crush, one that she had concealed for the past two years. She didn’t even realize that she had liked that person for so long, and when she finally noticed her own feelings, all things about him became more apparent. She was even more self-conscious of herself every time she was in his presence.

He was Lorenzo Miller, the only heir of the Miller family. He was also the best friend of her brother. When she was in high school, just like her brother, he started to take reins of his family’s business.

That day, after the school graduation and successfully graduated at the age of seventeen years old, she and her friends gathered for the last time. There was no guarantee that they would be able to meet again later. Some might be strangers or distant acquaintances once the life after high school starts; jobs, college, or even marriages. They just wanted to gather to enjoy the present moment.

“Did you know? I finally confessed to the boy I have liked for so many years.” One of her classmates, Janette, told the other girls while covering her mouth in a shy gesture as she admitted. The others seemed surprised that they screamed and hugged her.

“How was it?” They looked at her expectantly.

“He actually also likes me.” She said and began to dance around in happiness.

“Who is it? Are you two in a relationship now?” They began to bombard her with questions. Alana sipped on her drink, curiously looking over at her.

“Yeah, it’s Jordan, and we are now a couple!” She shrieked again, and the others also clapped for her and hugged her again.

There were only girls present in this gathering and each began to tell about their crush. Some had admitted their love to their crush, while others had a plan of doing so after receiving encouragement from their friends. After all, they might not meet the person they like again after they would be busy with their own life.

“How about you? Do you have someone you like, Alana?” Upon hearing this question, others started looking at her as well, causing her, who was in a daze, to be shocked and choke on her drink.

They panicked slightly, and a friend who sat close to her began to rub her back. She coughed for some moments until they subsided. She was a bit red in embarrassment.

“It seems that the Wilson’s princess is busy thinking about someone she likes.” A girl teased, and the others giggled slightly.

“Don’t tease me.” Alana scowled, scrunching her face.

“Tell us, who is the lucky boy?” Everyone began to pay full attention to the gossip. During their high school days, Alana had received many love letters, but there was no boy she had been truly close to. She always had high grades, so they took her reason that she wanted to focus on her school as genuine.

As it turned out, she has been hiding her feelings for someone for so long.

“You haven’t confessed to him?” They tried to guess while Alana blinked and stayed silent. After they notice that Alana didn’t want to reveal who the person was. Although they were disappointed, they also chose not to pressure her.

“After listening to all your love confession today, I think I should try to confess to him too.” A girl slapped the table and clenched her fists. She looked quite nervous. “He wants to go abroad to study for college and I am afraid I might never be able to tell him about my feelings if I miss this chance.”

Her words caused Alana to be stunned, and those words kept on repeating in her head. After the gathering ended, she still felt a bit disoriented, or perhaps because she had some glasses of drink earlier.

She called her brother, and she didn’t know what had come over her. After she finished the call, she waited for her brother to pick her up. Her other friends had already gone, either because their close ones had picked them up or because they were driving home themselves.

She sat on the street furniture and nearly fell asleep. Her head was about to hit the lamppost when a hand suddenly grabbed her head softly. She was immediately half-awake, trying to open her eyes, and muttered slowly, “Brother…?”

“Oh… were you calling your brother instead?”

The man was in a suit and he hadn’t had time to take it off when arrived home and received the call. He saw the tired and half-asleep girl immediately after he arrived here, and she also reeked of alcohol. It was apparent what she just did, probably also a bit drunk.

“Let’s go home.” He said in his deep voice as he helped the girl to get on her feet.
Alana also seemed to notice that something was wrong after she listened to the man’s voice. Her brother definitely would lecture her nonstop if he saw her like this; he wouldn’t be so tame.

A sliver of panic gripped her at the thought of a stranger that was trying to kidnap her somewhere and she slightly struggled to pull her hand from his. Until he had successfully brought her to the passenger seat, she finally had a good look at his facial features.

“Enzo…?” Her voice was slightly hoarse, and she asked in a confused voice. “What are you doing here? Where is my brother?”

“You called me earlier.” He said shortly.
She only called her brother earlier and when the realization dawned on her, she sobered up slightly and muttered in a quiet voice. “Sorry.”

He shook his head, and under the shadows of the street lamps, she thought that she saw the corner of his lips curled up into a smile. Or she might be hallucinating; she didn’t know.

They stayed in silence like that, and she only dared to steal occasional glances at him, marvelling at his magnificent side profile. She was a bit embarrassed that she had called the wrong person, and it just had to be Lorenzo.

He was a busy person. She heard from her brother that he might stay abroad for a long time to expand his family’s business later. He also had booked a flight to another country and might not be back soon. There were many kinds of people abroad, especially he might meet many women…. Just the thought of it brought a stabbing pain to her chest.

“We have arrived.” Lorenzo’s voice finally sounded.

Alana was silent for a moment.

“Alana?”

Hearing her name came from his lips so naturally like that, Alana didn’t know what had come over her. She unfastened her belt and turned her body to face Lorenzo, and blurted out, “I like you.”

However, as soon as those words came out, she froze as if a lightning bolt had just hit her. Her face turned red, and she didn’t even dare to see the expression on his face.

After what seemed like an eternity, she still didn’t hear him respond. Anxiety gradually gripped her heart, and she swallowed. She understood what it meant without him saying this.

He didn’t have the same feelings as her and wanted her to forget it, right? He just didn’t want to say rejection outright because he wanted to keep their relationship just the way it used to be. She was just his best friend’s little sister and might have regarded her as one, too.

“I have bothered you, sorry. Thank you for taking me home.” At this stabbing pain in her heart that felt like someone had ripped it apart and stomped on it, she tried to adjust her own expression. She kept on looking down, not enough bravery to even take a glance at his expression.

She got out of the car and hurriedly went inside. After she arrived at her bedroom, she threw her body onto the bed and cried. The first person she had liked didn’t share the same feelings.

Some days later, when she saw him again, he was with a woman. They seemed to be close, holding hands affectionately. Ah, as it turned out, he already had someone else, so she shouldn’t disturb.

Just like Jayden, Lorenzo regarded her only as a little sister, so… she shouldn’t bother him further with her feelings, right? She would forget about her feelings for him.