Chapter 14: Director Murphy

“You have something on your face,” Lorenzo said and his hand carefully wiped the stain on the corner of her lips.

The action made Alana flustered. As she tried to adjust her own emotions, she heard him saying, “I am all grown up now, so my mom no longer needs a little sister for me.”

Alana had a look of pity on her face, and she shook her head ruefully. “It must have been lonely without another sibling? When I was little, even though he was so annoying, it was so lonely without my brother at home.”

Lorenzo suddenly remembered the time he visited the Wilson family when they were kids. Alana, who was still a cute little girl, often waited at the door for her brother to come home and followed him around. He did envied him a bit, but as they grew older, he suddenly had another thought.

“Not really.” He raised her eyebrow, then said quietly. “There is a vacant position, but it’s not for a sister.”
Alana tilted her head to the side, but they didn’t continue the topic further since Alana brought up another one. The two spent a pleasant conversation together until they finished their dinner and Lorenzo escorted her home.

“Alana, can I ask you something?” Lorenzo seemed a bit hesitant as he asked. It was an expression that she would rarely see on him.

“Of course, just ask me.” She nodded.
“Can you call me Enzo again?”
There was a silence that hung between the two of them. Lorenzo closed his eyes. “If—”

Alana cut him off. “If that’s what you want, I can do that, Enzo.”

The short conversation played repeatedly in Alana’s mind afterward. She covered her face with a pillow and forced herself to fall asleep. Her hand threw the pillow from her face, gasping for breath. She might going to be crazy!

After a while, her breath evened out, and she fell into a deep sleep. When she woke up again, it was already seven in the morning. She had a schedule today and her brother had promised her to pick her up and escort her to the studio that Glory Star Entertainment owned.

Director Murphy already waited for her inside, a middle-aged man with a thin beard. She immediately greeted him upon entering the room. He was a director that had been working with their company for a lot of projects, so they were already familiar with each other.

“I am surprised that you took this project, Director Murphy.” Alana smiled at him.

“I am interested in the script that you wrote. I heard that you have been working on it for months.” He nodded, holding the script in his hand.

Alana raised her eyebrow, and she didn’t say anything more. The Glory Star Entertainment had invested a lot in this project because her brother knew that it was the script she had written, and he even handed this project to her as well.

However, Alana wasn’t interested in taking over the company. She only wanted to be a screenwriter and taking after such a company was such a hassle. It’s better for her to sit and just enjoy her brother’s hard work!

When she decided to resign from Albert’s company, she took the money from her share in companies of Wilson Group and paid for the damages.

“You are really good at this,” the director praised her and she just humbly smiled. Of course, she wouldn’t tell him that it was the accumulation of the experience from two lives. When she just started, she also had mistakes and learned a lot along the way. Director Murphy has been a great help for her, too.

Alana heard her phone ring and excused herself to pick up the call first. The director just waved his hand nonchalantly, so Alana went to a quiet corner and answered Albert’s call.

“What business do you have with me now?” She spoke bluntly. “I am busy, so make it quick.”

“Why are you taking Cecil’s role from her? Are you doing this out of revenge?” His tone was quite aggressive.

Alana rolled her eyes and then she let out a chuckle, knowing that it would aggravate him more. She heard him taking a deep breath, seemingly trying to calm himself down.

It wasn’t her fault that Cecil just went ahead and posted about Director Murphy’s new movie “You and Billions of Stars”, right? Her fans misunderstood also wasn’t because of her.

“It’s the director’s decision. Why are you complaining to me? Go to him if you have any issues.” Director Murphy wasn’t to be trifled with, either. He was able to go this far in the entertainment industry because of his wide connections and background.

She was about to hang up the phone when she heard Albert threatening her. “I won’t let you resign if you don’t give Cecil what she should belong to her.”

Maybe she had been too blind to fall in love with this guy. Well, love is indeed blind.

“Go ahead and do it.” She hung up the phone. There was nothing Albert could do. She wouldn’t come to his company to be slaved by him again, either. It was only his delusion if he thought she would stay even after they were not together anymore.

Just imagining how angry he must have felt without being able to vent his anger made her somewhat happy. She knew that her feelings for him were real and they were gradually whittling away now as he revealed his true colors further.

“You are back, Alana.” Director Murphy said, and the two of them immediately engaged in the discussion of the scenes they were going to take later. There were also two young aspiring directors in the room, whom Director Murphy was guiding. A normal screenwriter wouldn’t have the same privilege she did, and she was happy to do her best.

“Why did you change the personality of the second female lead?” Director Murphy finally asked what had been bothering him for a while.

“Is it bad?” Alana had a pondering look on her face. “I am thinking that her personality, that is distinct from her sister, would make her stand out more. Her sister is portrayed as patient and kindhearted, but I want her to be more brave and strong despite her lost eyesight.”

“She has lived in the shadow of her sister before, but she didn’t hold any resentment?” Director Murphy had a pondering look on his face.

“A normal human would feel resentful about that, of course, but she gradually realized that it was her sister who cares about her the most in the end, didn’t she?”

Director Murphy nodded, and then he gave her some advice. “Can you write an additional scene about it? It would be better if we can show that.”

“Of course.” Alana immediately agreed, and she took note of their discussion today and asked what to fix. She was also happy if the second female lead had more scenes. After all, it would mean more screen time for Lilah.

“You have a great taste for picking the actresses and actors for the roles.” Alana praised him before she exited the room, and she could hear him snorting in response. She only giggled at that.
Of course, he would know her true relationship with Lilah even after the small scene at Albert and Cecil’s wedding.

As she walked, she nearly bumped into Lorenzo, who seemed to be waiting for someone at the entrance of the studio. Confused, she asked him. “Are you waiting for someone?”

“See you later.” She didn’t wait for his answer when she saw a certain someone was also heading toward the entrance. She didn’t want to be seen by him.

However, Lorenzo grasped her hand tightly and she let out a gasp in shock, subconsciously wanting to pull her hand back until she heard him saying. “I was waiting for you. Your brother has something to deal with, so he let me come here.”

Alana’s mind was blank as Lorenzo’s words registered at her, along with her urge to hide. Before she could move further, Lorenzo already flipped their position, with him blocking her body from anyone’s sight. Her back stuck to the wall with an ambiguous posture of them nearly hugging each other.