Chapter 9: Feeling

Unedited.

The sudden voice startled her slightly, and Olivia’s screech seemed to have caught people’s attention.

“You are a woman, Alana. You should learn not to believe men easily and more importantly, you should have self-respect.” Olivia said in a sharp voice. “You are an adult now, but I am still telling this because I am your mother.”

The servants glanced at them, then looked away. Even the butler seemed awkward that he just had to witness this.

“You are not my mother.” Alana scoffed. “Who are you to dictate my life? Don’t arbitrarily recognize relatives because we have no blood relation.”

She took a deep breath, suddenly feeling very tired. Every time she went home in the past few years, it always drained her mentally and physically. There were some people she would like to spend her time with, but there were also people she simply wished to perish from her life.

“This is how you speak to your elder?” Olivia raised her voice, her finger pointing at Alana. “No wonder that all real men out there dislike you. You are such a rude and wild woman!”

“The man you were engaged to, left you for another woman because of what you did. Now you are with another man at such a late night. Can’t you at least think of the family’s name whose face you have smeared outside?” The woman continued with her hands on her waist.

“What does it mean to you anyway?” Alana’s face was cold. “Oh, are you afraid that he will give you less money?”

“Alana, watch your mouth!” Olivia began to walk toward Alana with her hand raised, however, a servant suddenly blocked her way.

“Please calm down, Madam.” She said, trying to ease down the situation. “You are not in the right emotional state right now.”

“What do you know? Don’t block my way.” Olivia shoved the servant away, and now she was directly facing Alana.
“Am I wrong?” Alana scoffed.

The butler had gone somewhere during the first instance of the quarrel. Now, there were only the three of them. It’s already night time and most of the servants had also gone to sleep in their rooms except for those that went home. The Wilson house was big, that was why it needed a lot of servants.

“You are an adult, you should mind your words and actions, I am only reminding you because I care about you, Alana.” Her voice had gone softer. It surprised the servant in front of them, but not Alana.

She had experienced this countless times. It was a sign that her father was already near here, and if it wasn’t him, it would have been her grandfather or brother. She had been very good at putting an act in front of them.

“What is this ruckus about?” And there he was, her father walking right into the room, a frown marred his forehead.
Olivia, whose formerly condescending and grim expression had changed into a crestfallen one, turned and walked to her father. She took one of his arms, hugging it in a dramatic gesture.

“I only tried to remind Alana not to go home too late at night, there are a lot of dangerous things outside. But it seems that she might have misunderstood my words.” She said while wiping the tears that had gathered in her face.

Alana let out a breath, and she continued to stare at nothing in particular in front of her, the gaze was blank.

“Alana, your mother said that because she is only thinking of you.” Her father suddenly spoke, breaking her out of her thoughts.

“She is not my mother.” She said coldly. “How many times have I said this?”

“Olivia is right, you are already at this age, and you need to start acting like an adult.” He shook his head as if disappointed with her.

“Do you even know what she said?” She snapped her head at him, “But you agree to whatever she said just like that? Do you even bother to hear my side of the story?”

Before Adam Wilson could respond to Alana’s words, however, Olivia already spoke first. “My words might sometimes sound harsh, dear, but I really didn’t mean it. I just don’t want you to be deceived by random men outside and you get hurt because of this.”

“It’s already late in the night, people might misunderstand what they see too.” She continued in an ambiguous tone. It was obvious that she wanted her father to misunderstand her words.

She definitely was good at poking people’s sore spots. With the scandal that happened to her, people might believe that Alana would really do this. Before the scandal, she did indeed change her partner a lot of times before she planned to settle down with Albert.

“Alana, did you go out with a man? Who is it this time?” He still had a frown on his forehead. “You should be careful when you get close to the opposite gender.”

“Don’t think too much, I and him have no relationship whatsoever.” Alana rolled her eyes.

“He might be just using you.” Olivia chipped in, glancing at Adam, and covered her mouth with her hand.

Adam had a displeased expression on his face, seemingly thinking over her words again. He was just about to open his mouth when suddenly there was a knock on the door. A servant opened the door and someone walked in.

“Excuse me for visiting at such a late night.” He had a noble air about him despite his simple clothes. “Alana left her bag in the car. I want to return it."

Just as he was about to hand over the bag to Alana, Olivia questioned him with narrowed eyes. “You and Alana…?”

“What’s with me and Alana, Mrs Wilson?” He still had an impassive expression on his face.

However, Alana’s father seemed to have a moment of realization after seeing Lorenzo’s facial features and voice. He asked with an unsure voice. “Is that you, Lorenzo? I heard that you are still abroad, but now you have returned.”

“Yes, it’s Lorenzo Miller, father. You surely haven’t forgotten him, right?” Alana asked her father with a flat tone.

“Were you the one who took Alana home? Then, I should thank you for escorting her home safely.” Her father’s expression didn’t change much, and Alana silently scoffed. Meanwhile, Olivia had a stiff expression on her face.
Alana took the bag from Lorenzo’s hand and thanked him with a soft voice. He squeezed her hand briefly before letting go, and it seemed to comfort her from this night’s crappy drama. After a while, he excused himself, refusing to stay any longer.

Lorenzo’s figure disappeared and the house turned silent.

“If Mr Miller hears you say his son is a random man outside, you should explain it to him yourself.” Alana broke the awkward silence with her sarcastic words.

She shot her father with a disappointed look, a gaze that seemed to hold countless unspoken words. Then, she turned around and headed toward the door.

“Alana, where are you going at such a late night?” Her father’s tone had gone softer this time. It was impossible for him not to approve of Lorenzo because he was once his son’s childhood playmate. The two grew up together and he even sometimes regarded him as half his son.

“This home has no place for me.” She let out a breath. “It once did, but it no longer does now, why should I try to forcefully insert myself in?”

“I am sorry I have misunderstood you. It’s all my fault…” Her father looked at the door, but her figure had disappeared. “Please come back here.”

“Alana?” He thought that she hadn’t gone too far, but when he opened the door to search for his daughter’s figure, she was nowhere to be seen, as if she was never there or just vanished into thin air. He ran his hand through his hair in a slight frustration. Olivia watched him silently from behind with her fists clenched.