Chapter 6: Father

Unedited.

Alana gazed curiously at the phone in her brother’s hand. Meanwhile, Jayden only glanced at her and said, “Go to bed, it’s already late at night.”

With that, he turned around and left. She didn’t think about them anymore and went to her bedroom. It was still the same as she left, simple and clean. After she threw her body to the bed, she quickly fell asleep out of exhaustion.

When she woke up again, it’s already morning. Feeling more refreshed, she washed herself to look presentable and prepared to go down to the first floor for breakfast. As she stared at herself in the mirror, she was horrified to find that there seemed to be something wrong with her skin.

On her hand, the originally fair skin had turned red and bumpy. She also felt itchy in some parts. It was quite unbearable that her mood turned irritable. She snatched the long-sleeved T-shirt and trousers and swiftly put them on.

Others already waited at the dining table when she climbed down the stairs. She quickly picked a seat beside her grandfather, away from the stepmother.

“You are finally here, Alana.” Olivia smiled at her. “I woke up a bit early to ask the chef to cook your favorite food again.”

“Sorry, I have taken a long time to come down.” Alana said, instantly realized what she was trying to discreetly imply with her words.

“You spend a lot of your time working, so it’s natural for you to feel tired. Sleeping is good to rest your body.” Jayden suddenly said and the grandfather just grunted as if agreeing with him.

“Oh, that’s right.” Olivia’s expression didn’t change. She turned to Alana and stood up, “Do you want me to pick food for you again, sweetheart?”

“No, no, it’s okay. I can do it myself.” Alana pursed her lips. Her right hand silently gripped her other hand tighter to lessen the itchy feeling. She bit her lips, and after the feeling was more bearable, she quickly picked the food that suited her taste. After receiving Jayden’s discreet glance, she also helped him pick his food. She felt funny after seeing his smug face.

They ate in silence and in no time, they finished dinner. Jayden had to go to the company, so he left shortly after. The grandfather also went back to his study, only leaving three people in the room.
Suddenly, Olivia stood up and approached Alana, putting her hand on her shoulder while saying, “Sweetheart, I have a gift for you. Wait here, I’ll pick it up from upstairs first.”

The woman walked away without waiting for her response. Alana glanced at her father who was still sipping coffee at the table across, then quickly looked away.

Her father was quick to remarry after her mother’s death. She didn’t expect him to be alone but the time was so quick that she just found it unbelievable. It was only nine months.
“How are you doing with your job now, Alana?” Her father asked.

“It’s okay.” She was succinct in her answer, not willing to say much. He must have heard the news and she didn’t want to accompany him in this pretense.

“I heard that a director is interested in your script.” He continued, and didn’t give up.

“Yeah.” Alana nodded, her hands playing with the phone on her lap. “There is a director who is interested in one of my scripts.”

“That’s good…” he trailed off, then said with a serious tone. “If you encounter any trouble, don’t keep it to yourself, we are your family. We will surely support you.”

Alana was silent. At the same time, Olivia quickly arrived at their table, and she beamed at seeing their interactions. “I hope I don’t interrupt you two chatting. There must be a lot of things to catch up on since it’s been a while since you father and daughter have met.”