Chapter 27

"Oh, wow. Here I was thinking you would need my help!" I exclaimed when I walked into Haruhi's room. She had hair extensions used to give her curled pigtails and wore a blue, white, and pink dress with pink heels. She even had earrings.

"I think the twins' maids came in and attacked me this morning," Haruhi grumbled as she looked in the mirror and ran her hand through one of the pigtails. I sat on the bed. After sighing, she wondered, "Are you feeling better?"

"I guess," I shrugged. I wasn't really, but at least I wasn't tired anymore. Plus, my color had returned.

"That's good. You know, I wish he had asked you instead," she revealed.

I cocked my head to the side, "Why?"

She explained, "Kaoru is nice, and I really appreciate what he's trying to do, but I guess I don't really like him that way. I think you two would be cuter together." She smiled at me through the mirror.

"What?! No! Even if I did like him, I have a promise to keep," I blushed and looked away.

"You've never opened up to him like I've seen you do to anyone else before. I've seen the way you look at him. I know you think I'm the oblivious one, but when it comes to love, you're the worst at realizing it. Especially when you're the one in it," she stated.

I frowned, "I knew I was once."

I felt her sit down next to me, "Is that why you made the promise?"

"No! I mean, yes, but... There were a lot of reasons, Haruhi. Even if I did want to be with him, I couldn't. Just being friends with him has made my studying go down, even if my grades aren't suffering. They could, though," I reasoned.

Haruhi told me, "Some promises have to be broken, you know. I've gotta go. I'll see you when I get back." I nodded as she stood up. I heard her heels clack out of the room. She closed the door behind her.

I stayed in the room for a few more minutes, silent. Maybe I had been happier since Kaoru and I had been spending time together, but that didn't mean much. He was my first true friend that wasn't my sister. Of course, he would make me happy. That'd happen to anyone in my position. What she said didn't make sense.

I took a deep breath and stood up. I opened the door and almost ran into someone. "Woah! Sorry, Azami!" a familiar voice apologized.

I gasped, "Kaoru?! What are you doing here? You're supposed to be on a date with Haruhi! I swear, if you stood up my little sister-"

Kaoru cut me off, "No, it's nothing like that. I pretended to be sick so that Hikaru could take her instead. It was my plan all along." I didn't know why, but I suddenly felt better. "You would have known that if you hadn't been ignoring me yesterday."

I cringed, "Sorry about that. I was sick. I'm feeling better today, though."

"That's good! Uh, well, the others took a page out of your dad's book and decided to follow them, and I was going to, too, but..." he trailed off.