Chapter 29

Keith's P.O.V

I watch Kayleene fall, and watch her as the recognition that these are the last moments of her life crosses her expression. She wasn't supposed to die like this. Not so abruptly, and yet so slowly. She was supposed to have a life with someone who loved her. She was supposed to get the life she deserves. And she's not going to get that.

I don't even know why she fell. I glance around quickly. Probably a gunman. Silenced gun.

I look back at her, as her hair parts, and I can see her face again. She's so close to the ground. It's so sad how she can look so beautiful and be so close to death.

I don't look away from her face. Our eyes lock in her last seconds. She manages a sad, acknowledging, apologetic smile.

Any second now, she's going to hit the ground. Any second now, and my best friend is going to die, and there's nothing I can do about it.

And then it happens.

Someone steps from the gloom on the floor from below, and stretches their arms out to catch Kayleene. She lands in their arms, relatively unharmed.

I sag in relief. The person looks up at me, and I recognize a guy from Kirsten's group of people.

Thank God.

I stand and look over at the fight. They hadn't even glanced our way. Not even when I shouted her name. Lovely. At least none of them have died yet.

Knowing Kayleene's safe, I join the fight, saving Vivienne from the man who was about to stab her. Everyone stares at me in awe.

"Where's Kayleene?" Evan calls.

"Safe," I respond, kicking a guy in the chest with enough force to send him flying.

"How safe?"

"She has a bullet wound," I call as I swipe another man's feet from under him. "But she'll live."

"No bullet can keep her down," Lyla calls with a laugh, as she stabs a man in the neck with her knife, before kicking her away.

We all laugh - even Willow and Derek.

We talk while fighting. It's just another day on the job.

~~~

We end out with no severe wounds, and no casualties. Of course, everyone around us is dead, but just our enemies. As always.

The door opens, but this time it's not the enemy walking in. It's Kirsten and her group. Behind her is the man who had caught Kayleene. She's clutching her chest, and her eyes find mine immediately. The Ghost carries her over to me, and deposits her into my arms gently.

"Well, that was unexpected," she says softly.

"Indeed. Though, it's one surprise I'm glad for," I say in the same tone. I lay her gently on the floor and search through her duffle bag, coming out with bandage wrap. Meghan walks over and helps Kayleene out of her jacket, and props her up while I wrap the bandage around her waist calmly.

"Did you accomplish the mission?" I ask Kirsten as I work.

"Indeed we did. We still can't find the man behind this whole thing, though."

"He was just here," Kayleene says softly, as I finish wrapping the bandage around her. Meghan helps her into her jacket again.

"And you didn't bring him down?"

"I was already on the bridge, and no one else knows who he was. Also, I'm fairly injured. I couldn't have taken him on even if I had the chance."

Kirsten sighs. "He could be anywhere, at this point."