Chapter 31

Steve's POV

"Shh, you have to be quiet," I hissed.

"Is Tony home?" Ace whispered back nervously.

"No, so let's hurry up and finish this before he gets here," I said leading him down the hallway.

"The stuff you asked me to bring is still in the kitchen," Ace whispered.

"Okay, we'll have to go back and get it later," I said, clearly stressed.

We were only two doors down from making to my room before we ran into Bruce. Luckily, he already knew that Ace would be coming over today.

"Tony's going to be here in an hour and a half," Bruce warned.

"We'll hurry up," I replied quickly before pushing my bedroom door open. Ace followed me in and closed the door behind us.

"Come here," I said opening the door to the large balcony.

"Is this where we're gonna do it?" Ace asked, looking around at the large space from the view of the city to large sofa in the corner.

"Yep," I smiled.

"It's beautiful," Ace complimented.

"It's perfect, right? I was thinking we could put some champagne on the this glass table and maybe string some lights up behind the couch," I explained with a happy smile.

"That sounds great," Ace agreed and rolled up his sleeves, "Where do we start?"

"I have the lights in the closet. Where'd you say you left the stuff?"

"In the kitchen," Ace replied.

"Okay, can you get started on the lights while I go get it?"

"Of course," he smiled.

I quickly thanked him before racing to the kitchen. Ace worked at a grocery store as his second job so I had him pick up some things before coming over.

As I picked up the flowers and champagne off the counter, I thought of how thankful I was for Ace's help. Anyone else would have told Tony what I was planning, and I couldn't have that.

I gathered the items in my arms and made a beeline for my room when someone called my name from behind me.

"Steve?"

I turned around and faced a confused looking Clint. He was sipping out of a water bottle and I couldn't help but smile when I saw the silver band around his ring finger. He only rose rose a brow at my behavior.

"I thought you were working today?" He asked suspiciously. I sighed and he immediately picked up on my defeat.

"What are you up too, Cap?"

"I'm planning something for Tony. It's kind of a surprise, so please don't tell him?" I said more like a question.

Clint inspected me with an unsure face before shrugging.

"Okayy," the archer said before going back to his room. I breathed a sigh of relief and quickly raced to my room.

"Whoa," Ace laughed when I slammed the door behind me, almost dropping the flowers in the process.

"Did you get the lights strung?"

"Yeah, come look," he said. I set the flowers on the bed and followed his outside.

"Ace, it's perfect!" I cheered. I set the wine down on the glass table and couldn't help the grin that made it's way onto my face.

Tonight's the night.