Chapter Ten// Who Is He?

The hallway is very busy!

For a Monday morning it is surprising to see so many students already in school. I push my way through the barrier of backs, trying to reach my locker. There must be something going on for so many people to be crowded around the corridors like this.

However I never uncover what the commotion could have been all about because the bell suddenly rings, signalling that home room has begun. I dismiss my locker and go straight to class. I sit down in my seat and scan the classroom attentively. I unexpectingly don't see Josh. His seat appears empty and I can't comprehend why. Is he absent due to an illness, some abrupt, unexpected virus? Being the concerned girlfriend I am, I text him immediately and ask where he is.

I know he rejected me on Friday night after his football practice but I hope the weekend has been enough time for it to pass by. I recheck my phone optimistically as I leave the classroom; no text from Josh.

I know he can be a deep sleeper but lying in this late on a school day is alien even for him.

My first two periods drag.

I almost fall asleep by the tiresome voice of my physics teacher- Mr Atom- as he drones on about electrons. I have to get out of here!

"Yes! Miss Heartfield. Do you know how to get rid of high levels of radioactive waste?" He asks me with his deep, boring, old man's voice.

"Could I please leave to go to the toilet?" I ask, ignoring his question, despite knowing the correct answer is vitrification.

"Not the answer I was expecting but go on then," he mutters while nodding his head with acceptance. I guess with his teaching career lasting longer than my existence, he knows by now that students wanting to go to the rest rooms really means they want a rest from their lesson. That, in my case, could not be more true.

"Thank you," I mumble as I leave the room.

Hence the fact I never got to my locker previously, I decide to go now. I it up and retrieve my English book I need for third period. I place it inside my backpack then use up the rest of my 'toilet time' to check my makeup in the mirror I have on the inside of my locker door. 

"I can't believe we skipped class," a high pitch giggle catches my attention from down the hall way. Being discreet, I move my locker door a degree so my mirror is at the perfect angle, giving me a clear view of who the girl is. I squint my eyes and I can just make out that it is none other than Courtney Ray.

But who was she taking to?

"I can't believe we did it," came a male voice. Courtney had her back towards me, the guy directly in front of her so I am unable to identify him. Who is he?

"You were great babe," the noise of kissing wafts in my direction, my nose scrunching up in disgust. It is a pretty long make out session from what I could hear. "You coming round tonight?"

"I'll try babe, I'll try," he says, sounding satisfied with himself. Gosh, people need to cut the PDA. I know they must think this corridor is deserted but I am a person.

I turn my head so it is inside my locker. I don't want them to see me eavesdropping on them. When I step back out, footsteps can be heard drifting away, the couple finally out of sight.

Oh so that's why Courtney isn't in class. I close my locker and walk back to lesson. But I still don't know where Josh is.