Chapter Twenty Eight// You Understand?

"People change." Nathan answers, shrugging his shoulders. Laura laces her fingers in with his.

"See, I told you," she smirks at me. My lip hangs low, my mouth parted, speechless. "Nathan's changed," Laura went onto say.

"Yeah," Nathan nods. What? No! I'm trying to get him to realise that he hasn't changed, that his heart still holds his true emotions (somewhere) but he's just masked the truth with false feelings. That his ambition to become popular has taken a detour down the wrong path, yet he is still the same inside.

"I disagree," I found myself blurting out.

"Pardon?" Laura darts her eyes towards me, her pupils targeting mine.

 I'm not changing my opinion now. I know I am right and I'm going to do whatever it takes for Nathan, and anyone who damn right disagrees with me, to see that. "Nathan hasn't really changed." I tell her with a confident hand firm on my hip.

"Well he's definetly not a nerd anymore, not like you," she scoffs, avoiding my eyes with a snigger.

"What?" I shriek, not knowing how to react to her statement.

"Girls please!" Nathan shouts over the top of us. "Stop this," he insists angrily.

"She started it," Laura grumbles with the cross of her arms.

"How did I?" By now I'm sure my face is flashing red. How can she think she can treat me like this? In addition, why is Nathan letting her do this? At least things can't get any worse...

"I think you should leave," says Nathan. I stand corrected. I look up to see his eyes piercing mine.

"Me?" I flinch. He nods, wrapping his arm around Laura. I don't bother with a second glance towards Laura, I know for a fact she is smirking that he has taken her side over mine. I slither to the front door with one foot trailing behind the other. Without a goodbye call, I leave his house and don't look back.

***

"I never liked Laura," huffs Lacy, growling under her breath as we pass Laura and her posey in the hall way early Monday morning. Lacy slams her back against her locker for it to pop open. "Calling me a slut was uncalled for."

"Yeah, and calling me a nerd. She isn't the girl I thought she was. I've had a lot of bad luck with people lately, they all seem to turn on me."

"Well at least you have me back," she winks. I laugh and give her a hug, grateful for her friendship, the only thing I seem to have at the moment. "And I'm sorry to say that you'll be stuck with me for the rest of your high school life. And, if we go to collage together, the rest of your academic life as well. Your welcome," she grins as I swat her arm, letting out a burst of giggles.

"Your a good friend."

"I try. And hey, if that plan of yours works, you'll get Nathan back too," Lacy comments, nodding down the corridor. I follow her eyes and locate Nathan turning the corner and walking towards us. He turns his head whilst passing me to stare at Laura. He stops by her side and wraps his arm around her.

"Yeah," my lips twitch to the side. "Despite the fact he chucked me out yesterday. How am I supposed to gain his trust and get him to believe me if he doesn't even want me in his house?"

"Talk to him whilst Laura isn't there," Lacy shrugs as the bell chimes, as if it was just that simple. All the lockers on the corridor all slam in unison as students bustle past to get to their first period. I follow Lacy on our trek up to Geography.