Chapter Thirty Eight// Everything Alright?

Why didn't I run?

Why did I not make my escape whilst I had the change and confessed the truth in Nathan's arms. His protective arms I wish were holding me right now. I could have told him the truth about the situation with Josh and I wouldn't be in this position.

Unfortunately that had never crossed my mind five minutes ago, five long minutes later and I'm enduring the subtle graze of Josh's hands caressing my body. His fingers trace the edge of my jeans and my breath hitches with his every move.

Despite his reassuring whispers of lies that this is what we both want, I crumble under his overruling body and let my limbs go numb as he continues to take advantage of me. Almost two years we dated. Never in that period of time did I ever think the guy I loved would one day be threatening me into doing something I once cherished. But as his eyes wonder down the length of my body, taking in my scent and mentally undressing me, I wish I never laid eyes on him in the first place.

"Paige... Hello?"

"Crap," Josh mutters under his breath, scampering over to his shirt that he had purposefully thrown to the floor whilst trying to seduce me with his toned abs I once ogled with longing eyes. Now the temptation has vanished to be replaced with disgust. Fortunately Josh hadn't had time to get as far as he'd wanted, the knock on the door saving my virginity.

"Hello? You in here?" The voice is familiarly recognisable, my heart beating thankful for the only person I was desperate to see right now.

"What do you want?" Snaps Josh with gritted teeth, the moment Nathan sets foot into my room. I turn my legs to the side of the bed and stand up.

"I was only wondering where Paige was, that's all," replies Nathan timidly, casting his eyes into the corner of the room. His feet shuffle closer together as he sways on the spot.

"Well she's here," Josh gestures towards me with a flat smile. "So now you can leave," he desperately ushers Nathan in the direction of the door. "Me and Paige have some unfinished busy to attend to. So you can get lost."

"I was just wondering if everything was alright, that's all," responds Nathan quickly, locking eyes with me, a glisten coating his brown orbs. He takes my breath with his every word, pure and real. I savour the moment of his true carrying self, knowing it will vanish anytime soon by the dominance of Josh's force for him to leave.

"Everything is fine," Josh pushes, his teeth clenched and muscles tense. "You can leave now."

However despite his persistence, Nathan plants his feet on the floor in the doorway, declining Josh's order and taking his own stand, chest strong and broad shoulders back. "Paige, is everything alright?" He directs at me, an urgent plead in his tone for me to tell the truth. He wants to be certain that I am not hurt however even with all my emotional bruises- no physical injuries- I can't find the words to admit my internal pain.

"Everything is fine Nathan," spits Josh as if his name left a bad taste on his tongue. This is the first time I have seen the two 'friends' disagree openly before. "She doesn't want you. She never has."

Lies.

My mouth falls dry as well as my arms paralysed to my side, hopeless by the daunting stare Josh penetrates into my eyes. Cold and icy, his glare sharpens and simultaneously twists my gut. My nose twitches and the temperature drops slightly.

"Paige?" Nathan prompts with soft eyes, his face fallen with a heartbreaking sadness.

"Paige, tell him everything is alright," insists Josh, stepping closer towards me and wrapping a strong arm around my waist. I notice Nathan's eyes remain on me. Josh's eyes burn into the side of my head, his states too piercing to ignore. We lock eye contact and he sends daggers at me with a knowing look, a shiver tingling the back of my neck. I gulp discretely however by my echoing swallow it was evident by Josh's heartless eyes that he had heard- meaning Nathan did too.