Chapter Nineteen// New Partner

Ethan invites me to his soccer practice Wednesday afternoon. The bell for the end of the day has already chimed and I head straight out to the field. The sport teams have a rotor of who can use the field for practice each day. Today is the soccer team's turn.

I pass Lacy on my way through the car park. From the dirty look she shoots me it is apparent that she doesn't want me to stop for a chat. What would we even chat about?... How much of a jerk her new boyfriend is and, even though he is smoking hot, is a jackass for trying to kiss her once-best-friend though you don't believe me? Umm, something tells me that that conversation wouldn't go down that well, considering Jace is standing right next to her.

Ignoring her narrowed eyes and turned up lip, I march past her confidently and walk down the steps. Ethan creeps up behind me and tries to surprise me with a hug, fortunately I hear him approaching so don't scream when his arms wrap around my waist and pull me against his chest. "Hey Paige," he whispers into my ear. I spin around with a huge smile.

"Hi Ethan. You really surprised me." We both laugh in unison at my sarcasm. "You ready for practice?"

"Yeah, all ready. Oh, I gotta go," I turn my head to see the rest of the team summoning Ethan over to them. "See you later?" I reflect his smile and nod, before giving him a final hug.

"See you after practice. You need anything?" I ask quickly, the team frantically motioning Ethan over to them, wanting to start practice.

"Water?" Ethan looks at me one last time before running over to them. I watch as he joins his team mates and the ball is kicked towards him. For a moment I spectate the beginning of the match. Ethan is really good. It is clear why he is the captan- he is definitely the best player.

I go back up into the school cafeteria, in the direction of the vending machine to get the water Ethan has requested. It is only $1 so I don't care if he doesn't pay be back. After all, he did insist on buying our ice creams the other day. I slot the money into the machine and wait for the bottle to drop. As I bend down to collect it, another hand clutches around my wrist.

"Hey," I stand up onto my feet and stare blankly at the guy in front of me. He has his hood up therefore I can't detect his appearance. With his tall frame, he could be any guy in my grade. "Um, hi?" I stutter as his hand is still holding my wrist.

He then drops his arm and I retrieve mine so he can't touch me again.

"Could you get me a water too?" The mysterious guy flicks back his head and his hood falls off. The first thing I notice about him is his dark brown hair, messy from the pull of his hood.

"Oh, hi Nathan." I let out a sigh once I realise I know him. Nathan isn't alone, though. A few guys are around him who I hadn't acknowledged their presence until now.

"Hey," he repeats, his tone of voice flat. He wedges his hands into his leather jacket pockets. "Could you get me a water?"

I take a second to process his question. He had asked me before but I was too stunned to reply. "W-why?" My voice breaks unexpectedly. The two guys surrounding Nathan let out a chuckle, taking advantage of my nerves. They aren't recognisable by the way their heads are down and hoodies covering their chin.

"Coz I'm thirsty," Nathan grunts, matter of factly. He steps forwards and presses the buttons on the vending machine. "Toss us a dollar would ya?" He extends his arm forcefully in my direction, opening his hand and waiting for me to give him the money. I stand still, frozen.

"Give him the stingin' money," barks one of the lads to my right. I jump inside at his deep voice, startled by his volume. I glance my eyes back on Nathan's hand, then trail my sight up to his face. His jaw is clenched and he sighs impatiently.