Chapter Forty Nine// Wanna Fight?

As arranged, Nathan came to pick me up for school twenty minutes before the bell was going to ring. Even though he was due to arrive at 8:40, which he did, I was already waiting by my door at 8:30, peering through the glass of my living room window every two minutes.

When his car did pull up, a spark ignites in my heart. "Bye mom!" I shout whilst flying back to the door.

"See you later Paige." But I am already gone.

"Ready for school?" Just the mere sound of the tone of his voice is able to set my heart on fire, the flames burning up to the surface of the cheeks. I don't even know why I'm blushing but it results with Nathan smiling even wider.

"You bet I am," I laugh with a hint of sarcasm. I plug my seat belt in as Nathan pulls off the kerb. "And anyway, I should be asking you that question."

"How come? Oh yeah, Josh." He answers his own question with the roll of his eyes. "Don't worry," Nathan takes a careful hand off the wheel to hold mine daintily in his, squeezing it with reassurance. "Paige, I'll be fine. No one can take me away from you. Not now, not ever."

My throat tightens, almost speechless as his eyes glisten with the reflection of the light refracting from his eyes. "I have no words," I giggle.

"Then don't say anything, just sing."

At first I am puzzled by what he meant- I can't sing to save my life (an expression I use often.) However when Nathan pulls out a familiarly looking CD case from his pocket, and slots the disk into the car, I know exactly what he meant.

"You belieber," I laugh while he changes the song to track 3, my smile expanding with the amusement of how he knew which song was which.

"What do you mean?" He sings along to the music, lyrically correct as he continues to nod his head to the beat.

"Oh I love you," I crack into another outburst of giggles, my eyes close as I keep laughing to his voice. But when I notice he is no longer singing, my eye lids raise with the curiosity for his reason of stopping.

His eyes are flickering from the road to me. When he stares deep into my eyes, a sincere and genuine look came about his face. "I love you too." His lips creep into a smile, my face mirroring the happiness in his eyes. I let out a sigh, able to let go all the insignificant worries and allow them to evaporate from my mind. Nothing matters when I'm with Nathan; nothing but us.

"Why are you parking round the back?" I comment on how Nathan takes a left turn as we arrive through the school gates, driving behind the school building to the overflow car park. There were no cars around, apart from the two cars already parked by teachers. "Your not scared of Josh, are you?"

His face turns to mine. "Of course not. I already told you that."

"Well, you have no reason to be. I'm here." I take his hand in mine one last time. We both lean in and share a kiss before getting out of the car. With our fingers still laced together, a symbol of our blossoming relationship, we enter through the back entrance and up some steps that lead us into the main corridor.

Immediately, without time to blink, I detect the back of Lacy's head, her mid-length blond hair bouncing around her shoulders as she chats with a couple of girls from our year. I call her name from a few metres away, catching her attention as her head turns with a knowing expression on her face.

"Paige," I hear the skip in her voice. She abandons the girls she has been with to sprint down the corridor to join us, Nathan still by my side.

Lacy's eyes jump from Nathan to me, then back onto Nathan. Her grin can't extend any further, a flourishing excitement overwhelming her face. "Nathan!" She exclaims with open arms, gesturing her happiness. "You're back."