Chapter Twenty Two// Teacher's Pet

Friday morning I arrive at school earlier than necessary. It is because my car is finally fixed however the only time that had been available for me to collect it was 6:30 Friday the 26th of October. There was no point in me returning home, it would have been pointless.

I heave myself out of my car and make my way to the entrance of the school. As I pass the math block, I can't help but divert my attention to the graffiti that I am certain Nathan and Josh had created.

The words 'Math Sucks' are still engraved onto the side with the message permanently damaging the school. I find it ironic that Nathan has done this, considering he used to be a nerd. I remember him telling me that math was his favourite subject... I wonder if that ever changed.

I enter the school and shuffle over to my locker. I'm surprised anyone would want to arrive this early. A few students are walking down the corridor but not a lot.

"Paige!" My name is called behind me. The voice is recognisable so when I realise it is Ethan, I turn around with a smile. That smile is then replaced with an expression of concern.

"Are you ok?" I ask him as he runs over to me with a wash of panic covering his face. He catches his breathe back then opens his mouth to speak.

"No, not really. I have a problem," he says, breathless. My eyes don't part from his.

"What sort of problem?" Is he hurt? No. It's not like he's late to school. What could this all be about?

"Well, let's just say I've been accused for that graffiti on the math block wall," he explains, still panting from his sprint. "They saw that I was the last to leave the sports centre yesterday and I was the last car out of the grounds."

I am speechless. As a fact I know he didn't do it and to suspect that it was Josh and Nathan makes me angry that he is being blamed. "I know who did it," I state.

"Yeah, same. It was Josh and Nathan."

Oh, so I was right! "So why don't you tell them that?"

"I can't!" He suddenly rages. I flinch at his volume.

"Umm, why not?"

"If I turn them in, not only will they beat the crap out of me, everyone in the school will tease me for being a fucking tattle tale."

"Then just lie and say it was you then," I suggest, finding it hard to find a way to please him. Justice will find it's way some how.

"I can't, that's the problem. I'm not turning them in but if I say it was me, I'll get in so much trouble. If they ring my mom she will ban me from soccer and probably ground me."

"Oh..." Was all I can say.

"Yeah. Then I won't be able to go out with you tomorrow night," his voice softens and he steps in closer towards me. His hands hold mine as he sways them side to side.

"Do you know what your going to do?" I whisper, letting him lean in even closer to kiss my cheek.

"You... could say you did it?" His breathe fans against my lips. I meet his gaze and push him back. I frown at him and he just stares at me blankly.

"What?" I snap, still trying to process his words. Why would he think I would do that?

"Listen, if you say you did it, the teachers won't punish you as your like the teacher's pet," he goes onto tell me. I listen with enlarged eyes of disbelief.

"Pardon? The teacher's pet?" I laugh in disagreement, shaking my head. This is preposterous!

"But it's true. Babe I love you, but if anyone will get away with it, it's you." He leans in and his lips press up against mine. His kiss makes my knees fall weak and my heart beat at the speed of light. When he pulls away, I'm left craving more.

"If I do agree to this..." I find myself saying. "What is my story? They are going to ask me questions you know."

His sigh of relief drowns out my words.

"I don't think this is believable Ethan. I don't wan to do this."

But he doesn't have chance to say another word, even if he had heard me.

"Mr Daniels!" Mrs Preston, our principal, marches around the corner and targets Ethan with her eyes. She doesn't look all that pleased.

"I'm sure you'll think of something," Ethan pushes me in front of him, like his defence. I gulp as she paces towards me. I feel Ethan leave from behind me and soon he is gone.

***

"Grounded?" I exclaim in horror. My mom paces the living room carpet, ending with her sending me a very warningful death glare. She crosses her arms sternly.

"You vandalised school property! What were you expecting Paige? This is so unlike you," she turns her back towards me, probably too ashamed to even look at me. I avoid the mirror, I don't think I can even look at myself right now.

I let out a long sigh, mostly of regret for agreeing/ not actually giving full consent to take the blame for Ethan. The school had inevitably called my mother to inform her on my outrages behaviour. Now she is babbling about how I have had a good upbringing and I am a smart girl so shouldn't have done what I had- yet hadn't actually- done.

"Are you even listening to me?" My mom rages, almost about to pull her hair out. Trust me, so am I.

"Mom, I heard. I should be punished but grounding me? Really?"

"Really. Ugh, I still can't believe you did what you did," my mom drags the palms of her hands down her face. "I can't even look at you right now. Go up to your room," she orders, her voice weak with disappointment.

The disappointment card is always the worst. Send me to bed without supper but shake your head in shame and I may start to shed tears.

"What about dinner?" I ask, biting my tongue. If I get the disapproved look, I may as well suffer it with a full stomach.

"I'll send you something up later just... Just go."

With my eyes stuck to the ground, I slither out of the room and up the stairs. I take out my phone, ready to call Ethan to inform him about what has happened and that we won't be able to go on our date tomorrow night.

He was wrong, it did get punished. No teacher's pet now.

"Oh, and Paige!" I lean over the banister to see my mom holding out her hand, open, face up. "Phone please. Your grounded. I'll return it to you whenever I feel you have learnt your lesson."

I toss my phone down the stairs with a tiresome sigh. I make my way into my bedroom and flop down on my bed. I guess Ethan will just have to get stood up. Why is everything lately not going my way? If only there is a simple answer to solve all of this.

A/N- Quick message.

Please follow my friend (literally I've known her for 10 years) eleanorsmind

Check out her new story and vote.

Thank you so much for reading this chapter. More coming soon :)