Chapter Twenty Three// Thank You

As a result of being grounded, I have absolutely nothing to do this Saturday morning. My phone has been confiscated as well as my TV privileges. So with my head buried into my pillow, I let out a heavy moan.

I should be out shopping with Laura for my date with Ethan tonight, not stuck in the house like  chains are locking my door.

"You want something to do you could do me a favour?" My mom suddenly appears at the door, as if she had the power to telepathically understand the boredom tormenting my brain.

"What is it?" I ask with a tired voice, not having the energy to hang out the washing or dry the dishes. Why is life so boring?

"The Maison house hold across the street have a new puppy, but Mrs Maison has to work Saturday mornings so I agreed to dog walk today, but considering you want something to do, you could take him?" She throws me a dog leash that Mrs Maison must have gave her to walk her dog.

"That seems alright," I take the lead and tuck it into my pocket. I could use some fresh air. I tie my hair back into a pony tail and pull on my converse.

"Here is her house key. Have fun."

"See you in about an hour." I run down the stairs and out the door, delighted at the way the sun hits my face.

I pick up Jasper, Mrs Maison's Pomeranian, and head out to the park with the little dogs legs waddling behind me. His tail wags and he has a small stick in his mouth. It isn't long until we reach the park and we have completed a full circuit on the path.

The orange of the leaves blend with the brown acorns and the green grass. Pigeons flight the attention of the black nosed dog, circling his head making him pounce at their beaks. They fly away in fear and leave Jasper doubting why he can't catch them.

"Hey! Paige!" My name is called from behind me. I turn around to be greeted by a girl around twelve or thirteen. That is when I realise I know her, it is Bailey- Nathan's little sister. I'm surprised I didn't recognise her at first.

"Oh, hi Bailey," I smile as she beams down towards Jasper, who instantly drops his stick at the excitement of about to be fussed.

"Can I pet him?" She giggles, kneeling down to the dog with big eyes.

"Sure you can." A smile grows on my lips at the enjoyment on both of their faces.

"You remember Buddy, right?" Bailey whistles her dog over towards us. Her black Labrador bounds over with his long tail swaying this way and that.

"Of course. We met last time I was at your house, didn't I boy." I fuss the dog with a full body stroke. He pants with his tongue hanging out, presumably from his run across the grass. I let Jasper off his leash so he can play with Buddy.

"I didn't realise you had a dog," says Bailey, admiring Jasper some more as he rolls on his back, Bailey tickling his stomach. The little canine barks with a squeak of excitement, jumping back up onto all four paws to wag his tail some more.

"I'm walking him for a neighbour," I explain, laughing at the scene Jasper has put on for us. "He is pretty cute."

"Can I throw him his stick?" Bailey picks up the piece of wood Jasper had previously dropped.

"Sure, go ahead."

Bailey chucks the stick into the air and the dogs follow it with their eyes. When it falls onto the grass they both pounce after it. Me and Bailey let out an amused giggle.