Chapter Thirty Four// He Loves Me?

"We're... Me and Paige are-" Nathan stops. Hinting for me to carry on. But with my mouth paralysed, I struggle to speak, just a faint stutter rolls off my tongue.

Ring... Ring...

Vibrating from my denim jacket, left on the kitchen counter, I run over to see my phone ringing. Excusing myself from the conversation, I calm my blush as I answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello dear." It is my mom.

"Hi Mom, what is it?"

"I was just ringing to ask if you could come home now."

"Umm, ok. How come?" My heart races. Has there been an accident?

"We are going out for dinner." My mom informs me, my accusation thankfully being incorrect.

"Ok, will be home in the next five minutes, bye." I hang up the call and turn back towards Nathan. His eyes had been on me the whole time.

"You're not leaving, are you?" He comes over to me and engulfs me in a hug, causing me to sile uncontrollably as his face pushes into my neck.

"Sorry but I'm going out for dinner, I have to get home," I explain, admiring how cute he looks whilst pouting.

"I understand," he lets out a reluctant sigh, releasing me from his arms. "See you Monday." He plants a quick kiss on my cheek while his mom isn't looking.

"Thank you for letting me come round," I say to Mrs Johnson as I go into the hall to get my shoes.

"No, thank you," she approaches me with gratitude. I glance up whilst tying my laces to see her looking directly into my eyes.

"How come?"

"Thank you for getting Nathan back to his old self. He hasn't been this happy in weeks," she beams, keeping her voice at a moderate whisper, cautiously aware that Nathan is in the next room. "I had no doubts about you being able to get him back to his true self and now I know why I trusted in you so much. He loves you, really."

Her comment make my skin blush, the rush of blood boiling under the surface of my once pale cheeks. My heart replays the beat I have just skipped.

"You really think he loves me?" I stand to my feet with a shy glance down to my feet.

Mrs Johnson places her hand on my shoulder. "I know he does. Don't give up on him, because he never gave up on loving you."

"Thank you," I manage to choke out and resist an emotional stream of tears from flooding out from the bottom of my eyes. Do I believe her judgment? Should I get carried away with the stampede of horses racing my heart?

He loves me?

I take my jacket and pull it on. With one hand on the door handle, I say good bye to Bailey then step out into the cool evening air. It only takes me five minutes to return home, just as I promised to my mom. Reflecting on the recent events of today so far, my grin can't stretch any further as I revolve Nathan's face in my mind: his eyes, his smile, his body. All equalling perfection.