Chapter Fourteen// That's New

"A party?" Questions Lacy as we walk into class. Geography is first and I am already preparing myself to go to sleep.

"Yeah, at Laura's house apparently," I tell her the details Nathan had told me. She nods with a casual smile upon her lips.

"You wanna go? It's tomorrow right?"

"Yeah."

"You want to go?" Her voice rises, in shock of my reply.

"No, I meant it is tomorrow. I don't want to go though. Not now with everyone against me." I sigh as I take my seat, at the back. Thankfully I am not alone as Lacy sits in the chair in front of me. She turns around just before our teacher strolls in.

"I won't go if you don't." Lacy tells me. She is such a good friend.

"Thank you." I mouth a whisper.

Just like presumed, Geography is boring as hell. My pen barely even touches my workbook, only to write the date and title and I can't even find the energy to underline them both.

"Nathan, stay behind please," snaps Mr Moss at the end of class when the bell rings. Nathan... Staying behind? That's new. Since it takes me so long to pack up my things, I am able to hear their conversation on my way out. I purposefully walk slowly, taking baby steps with my ears pricked up.

"Yes sir?" Nathan doesn't sound even remotely bothered he is about to get told off or potentially punished. He goes up to the teacher's desk with his shoes scuffing against the carpet. Mr Moss's head raises, his bushy eye brows crossed.

"You were disrupting my class. Throwing pens across the classroom, talking, distracting other students. This is not the behaviour I expect from an over achiever. Quite frankly Mr Johnson, I am ashamed. "

Wow, I hadn't realised Nathan had been the culprit of the flying pen that hit my face. It wasn't aimed at me but now I know who had thrown it. Why would Nathan do that?

"What do you have to say for yourself?" He barks, hands on hips, glaring unimpressed down at Nathan. He used to be the teacher's pet. What a turn around.

"Sorry?" Nathan shrugs. He is slouching with his hands shoved inside his hoodie pockets. It is a definite 'No fuck's given' face.

"Are you?" I can faintly hear the tapping of Mr Moss's foot from where I am stood, eavesdropping by the doorframe. My body is hidden from view, my face peering into the classroom.

"Not really," Nathan avoids the deadly eye contact that Mr Moss is sending him. He parts his mouth to speak and only one word comes out.

"Detention."

I gasp. Nathan has never had detention before. Gosh, last month I thought pigs would fly before Nathan Johnson had to stay behind after school for a punishment!

"Ok." Is his simple reply.

"You best get out of here before I make it a double." Mr Moss warns sternly. So, with Mr Moss's face almost on fire, Nathan nonchalantly walks out of class and turns the corner, not even aware of my presence. My jaw has literally dropped.

I am not the only one who thinks that Nathan's behaviour is jaw-droppingly sudden. At lunch, I find out that Lacy thinks the same way.

"Nathan got detention?" Lacy nearly drops her ham sandwich she is so in shock. Much like I was.

"That's what I was like when I first heard it," my lips press together as I peer down. "Do you think he's ok?" I ask my best friend. This is a serious matter. Is Nathan suffering from a personality disorder or something?