Chapter Fifty// New Beginning

Nathan drive us back to his house after the long day of school we have had. To be exact, a seven period day long including double science and math. That, may I add, should be classed as child abuse.

"Hot chocolate?" My ears prick up and my eyes dilate at his heavenly words.

"Yes please!" I exclaim in delight of his offer, my mouth already drooling. "Whipped cream?"

"You know it," he winks, leading us under the wooden arch way into his kitchen.

There is an immediate homely ambiance as soon as you enter the Johnson house hold, in addition to the kitchen- the essence of coffee and freshly baked biscuits dancing in the air- it just made the atmosphere more welcoming than ever! Nathan pulls out a stool for me at the island in the centre of the room.

"So," I begin a new conversation once the kettle has stopped whistling and all the steam has evaporated from the air. "Have you enjoyed this week back at school? Despite today being Friday which meant double periods."

"I liked it," he carries two mugs over and takes a seat beside me. Wrapping my cupped hands around the mug I let the heat radiate through my skin, warming up with the delicious smell of the hot chocolate wafting up my nose. Nathan does the same. "But I did have a hard time focusing." He went onto say.

I frown with confusion but am able to comprehend his distraction with the link to my own. "Because of me?" A deep blush forms under the surface of my cheeks. His smile makes me giggle and his eyes make me sigh in awe.

"And you can't concentrate because of me, so I guess we're even."

His face is so close. With his elbows resting on the counter and his body leaning across towards me, no longer does the hot mug fill me with heat but my rapid heart beat towards Nathan did. My blushing has tamed however my pulse was no match to our proximity. The love I feel for him is unreal!

His hand holds the side of my face and gently guides it closer to his, our lips sealing in a kiss. It feels so good to be able to share these moments with him. It feels surreal to feel the feelings I feel towards him. When his teeth skim across my bottom lip I think I am going to explode.

But it doesn't last.

"Is everything ok?" A sudden pain of rejection filters through me as Nathan bows his head with his lips now far away from mine. He sits back in his own seat, even avoiding my eye contact. "Did I do something wrong?"

It is hard to tell if he is upset or angry, his expression hidden by the shield of his hair. "It's not you," he utters under his breath with a heavy sigh.

"I'm confused."

"Me too," his eyes rise to meet mine, a solemn mask covering his once brightened eyes. "I just wish I knew. I don't want to leave you here but I..."

"But you need to go back, I understand." My voice drops as well as my eyes falling to my lap. A whirl of emotions hurricanes inside my stomach. Yes I want to be a supportive girlfriend- I need to do the right thing for him- however at the same time I want to wrap myself around his leg and beg for him to stay.

"What do you think I should do?"

"Nathan dear!" Mrs Johnson's voice gets louder and louder as she approaches, entering the kitchen through the archway with the landline in her hand. "It's for you." She nods towards the phone, passes it to him, then motions him into the other room.

I watch him leave with saddened eyes. "Is it bad of me to not want him to go back?" The tone of my voice wilts. With the aching throb in my heart, it feels as if it is so full that one prick at it will deflate it all.